Help me choose on a tv, or suggest something else...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AdamTom, Mar 17, 2005.

1. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

So i'm in the market for a new television sometime in the near future, and theres 3 that i'm looking at, but i cant tell which one i want right now. the television will be used for the whole gambit, including watching cable television, watching hdtv, and watching dvd's. i just upgraded my home theater system and right now my 27 inch sony wega isnt cutting it, im itching for something bigger. i'm looking at these three televisions and have a few questions regarding them:

Sony KD-34XBR960 (The XBR 34" widescreen) $2200
    Sony KD34XS955 (the non XBR 34" widescreen) $1800
    Toshiba 34HFX84 (The Cinema series Toshiba, now discontinued) $1600

First, how do all of these compare to each other for the price? Is the XBR THAT MUCH better for the money than the non XBR Sony, or even the tosh? How does the Toshiba compare to the two sony sets? I do not have Digital television so i can save some money, so i cant get hdtv through my cable right now, and the sonys both have a built in hdtv tuner, so i can pick up the hdtv signals over the air, which is a big plus. Comparing the Toshiba to the Sony XBR shows that they both have 10 bit 3d Digital comb filters. the tosh does not have a built in tuner and is not cable card ready, the xbr is. warranty is better on the XBR. The XBR has an extra rear compsite video in. both have hdmi inputs. no firewire or media stick support on the tosh (which i dont care about). Looks like both sonys have digital optical outs, tosh does not. I like the fact that the tosh is 1600 dollars, and now that it is discontinued i'm expecting them to come down in price shortly. How much do you think they will come down? Would you guys suggest anything else that would be comparable, if not better for the same price? I've done my research and searched on all of these televisions and they all seem to be the best you can get for the money right now, if you're looking for a 34" Tube Television with a wonderful picture.

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Hey Adam I was originally thinking along the liens you were but I finally made my purchase of a Toshiba 46HM84. It is a 46" DLP and it looks great. It also only cost me $2200 and has excellent picture.

3. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

Haha, i dont know if i'm looking for anything THAT big right now.. [​IMG]

4. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

If you really are looking to stay with a Tube though I would go with the Toshiba over the Sony. My personal taste though. Compare picture outputs on the units though. Picture quality is what matters most in my mind so make sure you get what you like. If the Toshiba and the Sony both look the same...then go with the Toshiba and use the rest of the money for something else. Check out the DLPs though if they fit into your budget...I take delivery of my unit tomorrow.

Honestly going from 27" to 34" is big but for the amount of money....I honestly couldn't resist getting a big screen. Like you can see the Sony is awfully expensive for the screen size. Just keep an open mind and make sure you check out and fiddle with whatever you plan on buying.

5. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

Well, the Toshiba is about what i'm looking to spend right now, hopefully it will come down in the next few months. BUT, if the Sony's are WORTH the extra money, the i'll splurge on one of em. Also, why do you like the TOsh's better?

6. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Honestly from what I have heard Toshiba makes the tubes in the Sonys....could be rumour but I'd believe it. Also I have a 27" Wega right now and I have compared it to my friends similar and cheaper Tosh sets. To me the image quality is cheaper. Both companies make a great solid product. I'd buy the cheapest as long as it met my standards. Good Luck shopping. But again make sure you view them.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael, until just recently Sony not only made its own tubes but also made the glass for its tubes. As it is now, with Sony trying to phase out direct-view CRT sets, I do not know where the tubes come from.

8. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

Jack, care to give any advice?

9. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I had a 27 inch tv.. and I was deciding on a bigger size.. I was looking at the sony 36.. but then I saw a samsung 47 rear projection at sam's club for 1,047.. also included a free tv stand.. I went with that.. I am very happy with that size.. if you watch movies.. or anything else for that matter.. you see the little details that you could not see well with a 27 inch tv.
    the sony 36 weight more then the samung 47.. samsung was like half of what the wieght was on sony 36.
    JACOB

10. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

i think i may pay the extra 200 bucks and go with the non xbr sony, i played around with one at circuit city and it was nice. unfortunately circuit city didnt have the toshiba. i have a while until i get one, so i have some time to make up my mind. cant wait to get a new tv tho.