What's new

Help me choose my subwoofer!! (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Yes, 4 Tempests would be awesome. kevinu on this forum has done exactly that and loves it.

I'm not up to speed on how to wire that many drivers for this arrangement. You'll have to ask ThomasW about wiring options and estimated output levels as I'm not sure how to work LspCAD with more than 2 drivers.

Also remember than being free air it doesn't take much power to get a Tempest to Xmax. If you have the drivers VC in parallel and 120W applied to them in an IB config will be enough to get them to Xmax at 20hz.

The straight forward wirings require either 2ohm or 8ohm loads. If I did it right in LspCAD 4 Tempests, VC in parallel, then two drivers paired in series to each channel of a S700 would hit Xmax around 18hz.

ThomasW's 12 Shiva IB is wired for a 3ohm load I think and he has a two channel pro amp with less than 200W per channel driving all 12. And he has no lack of output.

I think your last line would result in a 4ohm load (4 and 4 in series is an 8 and two eights in parallel will be 4ohms again), and I don't think the S700 can handle a 4ohm load when bridged.

Another option would be to just use two of the new 15" drivers from Adire. The XBL^2, lower Fs and extra displacement should make them sound even better (and go louder) than four Tempests in an IB. And 300W per driver is what has been estimated as enough power for them in the DIY area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks