Help me choose my speakers !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy_H, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Jeremy_H

Jeremy_H Auditioning

I am looking to buy some speaker for my HT. I currently want to buy the fronts and center. I've been looking at the polk audio rt1000i and cs400 as an option. I want to spend ~1000-1500 for the three. I like the polks because of the built in subwoofer. I've also looked at the Acoustic Research AR9's. The specs say they have a "side firing woofer" is this like a sub woofer or not? Or, should i just buy something completely differently. My room is only 11x10 and i'd preffer to have something with a built in subwoofer. If anyone can hepl...plaese do.

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hi Jeremy,
    If you'd like the convenience of a built in subwoofer, then those Polks are nice. There are many other speaker manufacturers that offer built in subwoofers.
    Many forum members really like the Definitive Technology speakers, although they can be a bit expensive [​IMG]
    I would like to mention though, most if not all speakers with built in subwoofers do have their limits.
    Many do not extend down to the really low frequencies that you may desire.
    My choice would be to purchase as good a speaker as you can afford without a built in sub, and go with a quality separate subwoofer.
    There are many, and many members here would suggest HSU, Velodyne, Definitive Technology, Paradigm, and of course, the well known (around here), and very respected SVS subwoofer.
    For the price, I dont think you can go wrong with either the SVS or HSU (around $400-$500).
    Good Luck!!
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 15, 2001 at 06:23 PM]
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 15, 2001 at 06:24 PM]
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 15, 2001 at 06:24 PM]

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jeremy. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    First I have to caution you that "tastes in speakers are like tastes in ice-cream".
    If I gave you and another person scoops of Bryers, Dryers, Safeway and Baskin Robbins Chocolate ice-cream and asked you each to put them in a row from "best to worst", you would likely have different orders.
    But you would find this acceptable because it's a matter of taste.
    Choices in speakers are also a matter of taste. Nothing beats going out and listening. And when you go out to audition, take some music CD's, even if you want a fairly dedicated-to-HT system. A DVD soundtrack is highly compressed and very artifical. A music CD contains a lot more information and will do a better job seperating out different speakers.
    Now on to the questions:
    A side-fire woofer does not mean a self-powered woofer. If a speaker has a power-cord, this means it has a built-in amplifier for the woofer like the Polks. Without this, the speaker is depending upon the receiver to send the power to drive the woofer.
    In general, a good HT system consists of 5 small monitor-style speakers and a external sub-woofer. This gives you small, tone-matched speakers all around and a dedicated woofer that you can place in the optimal location in a room for the chest-crushing low-frequency.
    But external subs have poor SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) so many of us are forced to buy "powered towers".
    I have Definitive Technologies towers with built-in powered subs for just that reason. (Recently I added an external sub but thats another story. [​IMG])
    Because of my brand-loyality, I would suggest you go audition a DefTech 2002CLR center speaker ($500) and the matching DefTech ProTower 400 ($550 ea). This center is one of the best I have heard under $1000. And the matching towers have built-in 125 watts for the subs.
    Another brand with a very loyal following is Paradigm.
    I think Performance Audio in San Francisco carries both. You should get a few music CD's and a favorite DVD and walk in for some auditions.
    Good Luck.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I would not discount powered towers entirely...one member of this forum (John H) had Def Tech bp30's + external subs and then switched to bp2000TL's + external subs. Both of these speakers have the same drivers (with the 30's having no built in sub)...but John had better results with the latter setup vs. the former setup (of course the 2000TL is quite a bit more expensive). One nice thing about some powered towers is the virtually seamless blending between lows/mids/highs. Also, if you do decide to add an external subwoofer(s) down the road (which is usually recommended), then you can cross the speakers relatively low...and for music, you may not even need an external sub.
    You should seriously look at the bp2006TL's and matching center (clr2300)...otherwise check out some of the newer direct radiating power monitors from Def Tech...they seem to be very very nice (glowing review in last months in S&V). You should be able to get some money off list...
    www.definitivetech.com for more info
    Good luck!

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i agree with Henry. grab a nice set of fronts without "built-in subs" and buy a sub to match. are you looking for towers? don't rule out PSB, Paradigm, or B&W. they are all excellent (sorry for the tough decision ahead!) [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

6. Sean-D

Sean-D Agent

Jeremy, give Klipsch Synergy and Reference Series speakers a listen. They sound great on music as well as movie soundtracks. Check them out if you have a dealer near you. Remember it's your money. Go with what sounds good to you. Try to get a dealer to let you try what ever speakers you decide on for a 30 day demo.(or a 30 day return guarantee) You won't really know what you've got until you here them in your home connected to your home theater system.
    ------------------
    Sean-D.
    "If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."