Help me choose my next upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren H, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Those of you who have read many of my past posts know that I'm an HT/film enthusiast on a budget. Grad school does that to a guy. So, now I have some post-Christmas cash and am debating my next purchase. It will probably be my only hardware purchase for ten months or so. Here are the options:

- Studio CC - Would replace a small, old Infinity center and would match the Studio 40s I bought in April. I don't have quite enough to buy it, but my local dealer offers 6 months same as cash.

- Malata - Would replace my Toshiba 2107, a DVD player I bought four years ago this week. The 2107 has had trouble with only one disc - The Emperor's New Groove. I'm a foreign film buff, so access to R2 and PAL discs is a BIG incentive for me. I would buy this player just to get the recently released Bergman and Kieslowski films.

- other DVD player - I'm also interested in the new wave of cheap DVD-A players like the Toshiba 4700.

So, what do you think? I have a crappy 27" Zenith that will not be replaced for a number of years, so (sacrilege, I know) the player's video performance is not my top priority.

Thanks.

2. AaronT

AaronT Extra

[​IMG]

3. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Go for the matched center channel, the rest of the upgrades you mention are electronic, which are constantly changing in features and price.

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I have to agree with Tom on this one, go for the center channel. I should make a huge difference in your front sound field.

Nick L