What's new

Help me choose my next couple of SCIFI TV series to watch (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I'll happily echo all the recommendations for both Stargate SG-1 and its (so far) excellent spin-off Stargate Atlantis. I honestly believe that almost any true sci-fi fan can (and will) appreciate both shows.

On the other hand, I would advise you to definitely and specifically avoid Andromeda (And, I say that as a fan of the first couple of seasons, who has attempted to hang in through a totally disasterous decline which the series has undergone, in my opinion, and in the opinions of many/most others who enjoyed the show in its early days. Long story short: don't bother. It's not worth the time investment, IMO.)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
wow, thank you all again for taking the time.

1) Yes we have seen the Stargate movie and both liked it. We already have the first 3 seasons on DVD and they are next in line to watch. These recommendations have put it at the top of our list

2) I checked out the plot behind Red Dwarf and I am not sure it would fit us. While it looked interesting, we don't like a ton of comedy mixed with our SciFi. A chuckle here or there though we do like

3)I think we will give Firefly a shot, but will wait until the movie has come and gone so that we can watch the series and the movie together on DVD

4) We have both seen most of the Twilight Zones. My wife is a huge fan of these episodes but I like more arc based stories.

Andy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Getting into this convo a little late, but definately DS9, Babylon 5 and Farscape. However, to trule enjoy DS9 on every level, you might need background info (Bajorans, Borg, Picard, Cardassians, Gowron...) from TNG. That being said, why not start on all Trek? Start from 1966 and carry all the way through 2005? By the time you're done with the last season of Enterprise, you should be ready for Series VI in 2007.

I'm not recommending Voyager or Enterprise (sub par, if you ask me), but it's all canon.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think you may have misread my first post. The list in that post was what I have already seen. I was looking for recommendations that come outside of those on the list.

Andy

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh, all this B7 love, and not a shout for the Doctor. It breaks my heart.

*sniff*

Actually, if you get a chance - catch the new series of Doctor Who debuting on the BBC this week and on the Canadian Broadcasting Company next week. At least the first episode is pretty damn good.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I guess I should mentioned the Doctor but from the sci-fi listed that was already being collected, Blake's 7 seemed more appropriate.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with Firefly is there is so little of it. Once you've literally watched over a hundred eps of various series, and then you get just 13eps of Firefly, you think- oh is that it.
I'd definately go for the longer series and only do Firefly relatively last.
Personlly, I still think it's overated, but as it only went 13 eps and didn't have time to develop, who knows what it could have become.
As an aside, for me I'm tossing up whether to bother with BAB 5.
Having seen all of trek, I just wonder whether it's worth bothering with. My bias is saying to me it's just a poor mans DS9 so why bother?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another vote for SG-1 and Doctor Who, but if you want a rec on something just a little different -- LEXX. Sort of a cross between Farscape and Python with a sadistic twist. I don't even know how to describe this concept, but it rarely ceased to amaze sometimes just for the sheer bizarreness

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: The Complete Epic Series

This is THE definitive Box Set of a show I have ever seen. Great documentaries and great picture and audio transfers as well as colors are sharp and clear. This is THE set to own SCI-FI wise.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw in some more high praise for Stargate SG-1 and Futurama.

I know you said comedy is not a priority, but Futurama pokes fun (and homages at the same time) a lot of TV and movie sci-fi. Worth a look yia the first DVD set or the Cartoon Network reruns.

Stargate is a phenomenal series, especially the Showtime (1-5) seasons. Season 6 was a little weak, but they rebounded with Season 7, which has probably the series best episode with the two-part finale. Season 8 (running now) started great, but was in a lull for about 10 mediocre episodes. The last 5 episodes of the season are excellent, however. Atlantis has had a very strong first season, and is well worth picking up on DVD in Oct/Nov.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I say X Files.

I recently decided to watch DS9 from beginning to end on Netflix. I'm on Season 2 now and it's all I can do to not buy the Complete TNG!!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Firefly. Don't think of it as a show that got yanked, think of it as one of those BBC shows that have really short seasons.

I wouldn't wait for the movie as you are thinking of doing. If you wait for the movie, you'll be exposed to the commercials and the characters - you'll void the opportunity to discover the show without the hype. Watch it now and long for the movie!

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Andy

There are a lot of good sci-fi shows out there but if you have not seen B5 this to me is the one you should watch next. Ron took our advice and look at the thread on B5. I think that he really enjoyed it. There is so much that goes on in this series that you may have to watch it two too three times to catch everything that is being shown to you early on in the series. it is a full 5 season story arc, not one of these episode starts and ends after an hour.

I think that if you choose to watch this series, you will not want to go to work or sleep to see what happens next. The first season is a little slow to get going and the B5 dvd ( In the begining ) would be the very first thing I recomend that you watch, then start season one.

I know that I visit B5 at least once a year and watch every episode. It is just that good.

Stephane

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
1 - Andy has watched B5 as indicated in his 1st post.

2 - No one should watch In the Begining until sometime in Season 4.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks