Help me choose my first DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Romig, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Andrew Romig

Andrew Romig Auditioning

Hello,

This is my first entry to this forum, so an extra big hello to everyone.

It used to be that if I wanted to watch DVDs I had to do it on my computer, but my office isn't setup for long-term comfortable viewing, so I feel that I need to take the plunge and get a real DVD Player for my Television.

I'm searching for a good bang-for-the buck, if I have to spend up to $300 to get that I will, but I don't want some cheapo Apex that's gonna die on me in 3 months.

A few things that are important to me in a DVD player:
    1. Skipping must not occur anymore than once in a blue moon (I hate skipping!)
    2. High-Quality Audio, I'm considering upgrading to higher quality sound system soon
    3. I want it to play DVDs well, I don't care about CD-RW, CD-R, HDCD readback etc. I have a very nice stereo system for all my audio needs.

Please note that my current home entertainment rig is a 31" Tube TV and the speakers in it. While I am seriously considering upgrading my sound system later, I'm not going to get anything like HDTV for a long long time, so visual doesn't need to be the best (VHS quality visual is adequate, though if better is possible on a Tube, I wouldn't mind)

I'm a simple person who likes watching movies but isn't (yet) a grand home-theater buff. What I really need is a DVD Player that works and will work for a long time at a nominal price (however much that is)

Currently I have been looking at a Phillips DVD711(AT), but any suggestion is welcome.

Also does anyone happen to know what the audio frequency response on the Phillips DVD711(AT) is?

Thanks a million for looking and helping, I'm really overwhelmed here.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i am very happy with my sub 200.00$ JVC player,these players are very reliable and there ar a few models to choose from,i would suggest getting a progresive scan player,not much higher than non prog..and i would save you from upgrading if you decide to go HDTV in the near future.

4. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Other