Help me choose front speakers...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoshG, Feb 15, 2005.

1. JoshG

JoshG Auditioning

Medium sized apartment, so nothing too big, and I want to keep the fronts under $300 for the pair if I can. I already have a 150W sub from an old speaker setup, and I'll worry about the surrounds and center next paycheck. Here is what I have been looking at, what do you guys think would be the best deal?

Polk R30-$139/pair new at CC
    Infinity Primus 250-$269/pair at CC
    Athena AS-F1-$299/pair at BB

Or just go with the whole Fluance AV-HTB set for $199?

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Either go with the Athena's or for $358 delivered, you can get JBL E80's from BHphoto.
    That's what I wound up with. Did not like the Inifnity 250's @ ALL (and they were $99 ea.).
    Prefered the JBL's to the Athean's (especially taken center channel offerings into account).
    I had not demo'd the Polks.

3. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I have all Athena's including AS-F1's as my fronts and I'm really happy with the sound. I think for the price they are awesome. Only thing that's weird is the 50 hour break-in period. No big deal though, just throw in a cd and put it on repeat.

4. JoshG

JoshG Auditioning

Can you not turn them up very loud till they are broke in or something?

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have not heard any of those speaker but I might be able to shed a bit of light on the break in thing. Break in can be hotly debated around here for whatever reason. Some people say it is a line of crap and that speakers do not need to be broken in....others say you need to. I would do whatever the manufacture tells me to do. If they say break them in for 50 hours than do it. Just put a cd on repeat at moderate listen levels when you are working. The theory behind break in is that the drivers will not sound the way they are designed to sound until they are "stretched" and loosened a bit. Break in does this. I would not crank the speakers as soon as you get them. I would break them in for whatever the manufacture says first then you can turn them up. If you are not sure if a speaker needs to be broken in than send them an e-mail and ask. Some companies already have there speakers broken in when they pack them. Personaly I would break any speaker in for a few days before I seriously listen to them. I think it had a big effect on my Bostons.....but who knows for sure?