What's new

Help me choose between these surge/power centers (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
I've read all of the posts on surge suppression and lightning and so forth...and I am aware that whole house protection is the way to go and plan to go that way. That said, I am still looking for an inexpensive device to put in my equipment rack. Its purpose will be for convenience (cords) and noise filtration in addition to surge suppression.

I've narrowed it down to two choices based on price (both under $70) and functionality. If someone could offer any insight I would appreciate it. I've included what specs I could find:

Tripp-lite Isobar 12 Ultra
1280 joules
140v clamping
UL 1449 let through: 330V - UL Verified
96,000 amp network-grade AC surge suppression
40-80 dB EMI/RFI filtering
15 amp

Belkin F5C350
1530 joules
Clamping 330 Volts.
Maximum Spike Amperage 19,500 amps.
UL 1449 rating of 330 Volts
3-line protection: neutral, hot, and ground.
35 dB – 59 dB EMI/RFI filtering
15 amp

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There's not a lot of difference with regards to the joule rating so I consider that a wash. Neither unit provides for protection of the incoming cable but if you're going 'whole house' it is pretty much a moot point. If you buy into the thought that its good to have isolation between outlets, then the TrippLite is the way to go (its got a couple of more outlets if that's something you need. You do understand that these are rack mount units. Some people take these and make nice little cases for them to make 'em look prettier.

Tim K

Second Unit
Thanks. I like the Tripp-lite myself!

I am aware they are both rack-mount....and although I don't have a "rack" system, I need something that I can put into my shelf unit. I figured I'd come up with some way to "clean up" the mounting brackets. In fact, I think that since the Tripplite one has multiple mounting configurations that the brackets may come off altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks