What's new

Help me choose between these 2 receivers guys... (1 Viewer)

slammy77

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Okay... after lots and lots of researching receivers, I've narrowed the field down to 2 models. My budget is $500 firm with no room to go over.

Onkyo TX-SR605 vs. the Denon AVR-1708
Here's a link to a side by side comparison courtesy of Crutchfield.com
Crutchfield.com - Compare

The Onkyo is $399. The Denon is $499.

If it matters what the rest of my HT setup is:

65" Mits DLP 1080p TV
Klipsch Reference 5.1 speakers
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player
DirecTV HD-DVR

I'm planning to run HDMI from the DVD player and the DirecTV box to the new receiver and run 1 HDMI cable to the TV from the receiver. I may be getting a Blu-Ray player this year as well... so I'd like to have a receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs, but so far I haven't found such a receiver under $500.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since the 605 does video up-conversion to HDMI (1708 is a video switcher only) and processes the latest HD audio formats from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players I would think it would be the best choice for you. And it's $100 cheaper.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
You might want to take a look at the Harman Kardon AVR-247 as well, probably the most feature laden receiver in this price category, also pretty hefty (30 pounds).:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only problem with going with a receiver from HK right now is they do not offer any lossless decoding. So if you are going to get a Blu-ray player you might want to have the lossless decoding.

The Onkyo TX-SR605:
Power 90 Watts (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.08%) X 7 Channels
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding
2 HDMI 1.3a Repeater / 1 HDMI Out
Component Video 3/50MHz Inputs

Now this is one of the things I do not like about the lower end Onkyo's is the 50MHz bandwidth on the component video. This could very well effect HD video hooked up to the component video. And you will find mixed input as some will say it is a very good receiver and some have had problems. But it does have lossless decoding in which you will have to have a player that can bitstream Dolby THD and DTS-HD MA to the receiver.

The Denon AVR-1708:
Power 75 Watts (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%) X 7 Channels
Does not decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio.
2 HDMI 1.3a Repeater / 1 HDMI Out
Component Video 3/100MHz Inputs

Now if you are going to get a Blu-ray that can do all the lossless decoding then you might want to just go with the Denon IMHO in that particular instance the Denon is the better way to go. It has better component video and the same number of HDMI inputs. The Denon also has IMHO better build quality top to bottom even though the Onkyo is a better looking face plate. Lets face it the Onkyo has a much higher cool factor over the denon face plate and looks more high end IMHO. Now you can actually pick up a Marantz VS-3002 HDMI switcher for around $349.99 that has 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs and 2 outputs. That may be a nice upgrade to ether receiver if you do not want or can not afford a high end receiver. Do as much research as you can and ask lots of questions of sales people and owners of these products.

And while I am not sure about trusting Onkyo product at this point in time. If you want lossless decoding you might want to go with the Onkyo. It is one of the cheapest that has lossless decoding. Now the TX-SR 705 for MSRP of $899 has 3 HDMI inputs. But it seems to have heat issues just like the 805 and both may have other issues as well. That is why I am hesitant about going with a Onkyo at this time. It is on my consideration list but I am currently looking into reviews and owner comments before deciding not to buy them.

My considerations:
Denon AVR-3808ci
Onkyo TX-SR 875 or 905 with a toridal transformer & Reon Scaler
Integra DTR-7.8 or 8.8 with a toridal transformer & Reon Scaler
Pioneer VSX-94TXH

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What about this lossless decoding? You do realize that the H/K can perform the D/A conversion from a uncompressed (lossless) multichannel audio stream, correct? The sound quality would be no different.

BigSlade

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
While the sound quality in theory should be exactly the same, not all stand alone players might be capable of sending the LPCM signal (internal decoding on the player) for both TrueHD and DTS-HDMA, so it would be nice to have a receiver that is capable of doing the decoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks