What's new

Help me choose between 4 Sony HT (or suggest others) (1 Viewer)

kwanbis

Auditioning
Real Name
kwanbis
Hi everybody. I really do not understand much about HT/Speakers (Watts/RMS/etc), but i want to buy a HT to use with my projector and PS3, and probably to listen to music with my ipod.

I'm interested mostly on sound quality, not power. Power is important, but i would be using it in my living room, not in an stadium, and it makes no sense to pay for power when you would only be able to use 20% of it.

Also, i don't have HDMI need right now, but i assume i would be moving to a HD projector sometime, so it would be good to have.

So, i would like to hear what you guys think about this four Sony options:

DAV-DZ150K u$s 394 includes a DVD player

http://www.sonystyle.com.ar/ar/site/catalo...p;id=DAV-DZ150K

HT-DDW685 u$s 320 includes NO DVD player

http://www.sonystyle.com.ar/ar/site/catalo...mp;id=HT-DDW685

DAV-DZ30 u$s 320 includes a DVD player

http://www.sonystyle.com.ar/ar/site/catalo...amp;id=DAV-DZ30

DAV-DZ20 u$s 270 includes a DVD player

http://www.sonystyle.com.ar/ar/site/catalo...amp;id=DAV-DZ20

There only reason why i have chosen the Sony's is because they are the only thing i could get in that price range from a known (by me at least) brand in Argentina.

If you know of a better product at that price ranges in Argentina, i'm open to suggestions.

kwanbis

Auditioning
Real Name
kwanbis
I just realized that the old links at http://www.sonystyle.com.ar do not work (session time out), so i did a search and got new links that do work:

Archived DAV-DZ150K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony Philippines

HT-DDW685 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

DAV-DZ30 (DAVDZ30) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony : Latvia

DAV-DZ20 (DAVDZ20) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony : Latvia

kwanbis

Auditioning
Real Name
kwanbis
CAN THE PERSON APPROVING THE TEXT, DELETE BOTH MESSAGES AND IN PLACE, POST THIS (SORRY, BUT I'M NOT ALLOWED TO DIRECTLY POST):

Hi. I really do not understand much about HT/Speakers (Watts/RMS/etc), but i want to buy a HT to use with my projector and PlayStation3, and probably to listen to music with my ipod.

I'm interested mostly on sound quality, not power. (Power is important, but i would be using it in my living room, not in an stadium, and it makes no sense to pay for power when you would only be able to use 20% of it.)

Also, i don't have HDMI need right now, but i assume i would be moving to a HD projector in the next year, so it would be good to have it ready.

So, i would like to hear what you guys think about this four Sony options.

Before people starts suggesting other brands, etc, let me say that it is difficult and very expensive, to get good gear here in Argentina.

For example, the PlayStation 3 is not officially here yet, nor does the xbox 360, but you can get them for about 700/800 dollars (the 300/400 dollars models). The nintendo wii officially sells for 800 dollars (yeah, the same wii you can have for 250 in USA).

So, as much as i would love to get an onkyo, or something similar, there is no place to get them here, or at least not near this prices.

In brief, the only reason why i have chosen the Sony's is because they are the only thing i could get in that price range from a (more or less) reputable brand in Argentina.

But, if you know of a better product at that price ranges in Argentina, i'm open to suggestions.

HERE ARE THE LINKS:

Archived DAV-DZ150K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony Philippines

HT-DDW685 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

DAV-DZ30 (DAVDZ30) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony : Latvia

DAV-DZ20 (DAVDZ20) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony : Latvia

Thanks for the time and responses.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
But you do have a need for HDMI. You said you have a PS3. If you use that for blu ray movies, you'll need a receiver that can handle the HD audio formats, over HDMI. None of those you listed will do that. If you don't care about HD audio, any of those you listed will work.

I have no idea what's available in Argentina, so I can't really make any suggestions.........

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Well, for starters, since you have a PS3, you have no need for a DVD player so I'd cross those off of my list.

Now, I don't know what's available and what's not available in Argentina. I can say, however, that Sony makes some things very well and some things not so well. I'm a big fan of Sony TV's and DVD players. They are made very well. Sony receivers are just average and Sony speakers are terrible. Unless you have no other options, I would not purchase a package that includes Sony Speakers. The sound quality is just not good.

kwanbis

Auditioning
Real Name
kwanbis
Well, i can get Panasonic, Philips, Samsung ... i would need to check specs. But do you think they are better than Sony?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Of those three, I'd go with Samsung.
I, personally, don't recommend Panasonic to anyone. Some people love them. But, my experience, and several of my friends, have found they don't last long enough to get your money's worth out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mat1
Recent bookmarks