Help me choose an SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Szott, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Hey folks, just got approval from the S.O. to upgrade to an SVS from our dual Sony SW-40s. What I'm wondering is how much bass do you really hear (or feel?) in the different SV Subs? I'm mostly looking at the newer PB1+ because it has a nice wood finish, or a PB2+ for raw power. What qualitative difference would you notice between the sound of these two subs for HT and music?

Here's my other components (and stats) for reference:

Outlaw 950 and 750
    JBL S38s front and rear
    JBL SII center
    Room is approx. 30' x 20' x 8' (or normal ceiling?)
    Use is 95% HT (DVD, TV, Games) and 5% music
    And the SO loves deep bass (that's why she agreed)

Any help is appreciated...

EDIT: This is in a basement of a house, so rumbling bass and neighbors are not a problem (unless it shakes drywall off the roof) [​IMG]

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Joe,

What volumes do you like to listen at? That's a pretty large room, so if you like to turn it up, I'd recommend the PB2+. As far as sound, they are probably similar/identical up until the PB1+s limits at which point the PB2+ will have more left in the tank. Of course, your best bet is always to ask the guys at SVS.

-Robb

3. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

As usual Robb nailed it pretty much.

The PB1+ (page should be up today, sorry for the delay!) will be pretty much the sonic equivalent of the vaunted PC-Plus sub line, that's been compared to subs costing $3K by some pretty knowledgable folks at Sound Stage here:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...2531pcplus.htm

Still, you DO have a large room, and I think in my case I'd opt for peformance over beauty (not that the PB2-Plus is bad looking at all, it's just not going to be mistaken for furniture grade wood). I'm using a PB2-Plus myself at the moment and it really really fills a room.

In the end you just have to weigh very good performance with great finish... against... very good finish with great performance (and of course factor in the greater cost of the PB2-Plus).

Ron

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

So from what I understand they sound basically identical until you crank it up and then the PB1+ shakes your couch while the PB2+ will loosen your fillings. Is that the jist of it? Sonically identical but one with more uummphh?

One more Q Ron, what is the price of the PB1+? The website says about $1000, but does that mean $999 or $1199?

I have a feeling I'll need to break down and get the PB2+. If I didn't want to be completely whipped by my home theater, what would I doing here in the first place?

5. Jeremy McElwain

Jeremy McElwain Auditioning

I know you were asking Ron but.....I just ordered the PB2+ 1199 plus the $99 flat shipping.

I just hope it doesnt shake the new house we just built down!

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Cant go wrong with the PB2.. I got one of the first and it blew away my dual NHT boxes. Not even a close compairison! My problem is my PB2 is usually just below half level on the gain for movies and does a great job for my large open family room. I will always wonder though what a PB4 would do.... da gawn upgrade itis..never goes away.

7. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Another thumbs up from a very happy PB2+ owner here. I went with a larger sub than I "needed" (who really needs a sub anyway?), because at some point its likely I'm going to build a fairly large dedicated HT room and I didn't want to have to deal with "upgradeitis" in a year or two when the PB2+ was such an awesome deal back in June.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Joe, I'm running a PB-2+ in a room about the size of yours, a bit bigger but close. Since your setup will be in the basement, I assume the sub will be on a concrete slab. This will result in a loss of some of the vibrations many of us like. I think the larger of the two is what will better suit your needs. Get the PB-2+.[​IMG]

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Cool, thanks for all the good words. I'm sensing a pattern of happy PB2+ owners here [​IMG]

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I guess the only unhappy owners are those who forgot to secure grandma's china that was hanging on the walls before they cranked the sub up. [​IMG]

11. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Joe,

I've ordered a dual PB1+ configuration, as I cannot place the PB2+ due to its size.
    The PB1+ has just the height and depth of my couch, so it will be the perfect fit for me. One goes into the corner, one on the other side of the listening place.
    This setup also avoids the "single point of rumble" in the room.

Cheers,
    Axel

12. Rudi B

Rudi B Stunt Coordinator

I have a problem with the "single point of non-rumbling part of the room"... That would be the subwoofer's enclosure itself. [​IMG]

13. AxelKro

AxelKro Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rudi,

the enclosure has to stay cool, otherwise the Lamp and the flowers are tossed from the "sidetables". [​IMG]
    Did I mention already the 100% WAF from the PB1+ ?

Axel