What's new

Help me choose a solid 2Ch. Soundcard please. (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I'm in need of a new soundcard, but I'm not really sure what to get. One thing I don't need though is all the bells and wistles that cards like the GTXP and SBLive have. I just need a card that has rock solid 2 channel performance for games and playing DVD's.

Also, I only will buy a SoundBlaster card as a last resort.

I'm finding it hard to fine alternatives to Soundblaster cards here in Toronto(seems no store will carry anything else) so please if you can, provide some linkage to a sites that ship to Canada.

Thanks a bunch.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Hercules Fortissimo II. Bought one last week. Cost me £40, has solid drivers and works very well indeed. Has separate speaker and headphone outputs as well as optical SPDIF in/out. Also has 5.1 DD/DTS output. Great little soundcard, and causes less headaches on my machine than an SBLive! did. Glitches and pops I used to get when playing audio files just don't happen now.

And the best bit...

It's not made by Creative Labs.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
NOt sure what you mean by solid- but if your looking for a professional 2 channel card- check out the Echo Mia. It is a very nice, simple card with 2 in, 2 out balanced TRS connection as well as a SPDIF i/o for 2 channel PCM. Has excellent studio quality converters, and is a steal at $199.
Works flawlessly, sounds amazing and is suitable for professional applications.
http://www.echoaudio.com/mia.htm
-Vince

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hmm, by solid I mean no hassle's with drivers and such, plus good performance.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
You'll find that consumer cards are pretty much aimed at multi-channel sound anymore.
You didn't say what operating system you're using, but if you are using W98 or ME you could look for a Turtle Beach Montego II. I have it running in one machine and it is solid with no problems. But it is a discontinued card and the drivers won't be updated any longer. Last update on the Turtle Beach site was about 18 months ago.
Philips has several cards. The low end 2 channel card is the Harmonic Edge PSC 602, but I've yet to find it in stock anywhere.
The Rhythmic Edge PSC 703 is multi-channel but only about $35-40 (US). A good card. I have the earlier version (PSC702) but they haven't put out XP drivers for it, I'm using the 2000 drivers and they work fine.
Review:http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/phili...03/index.shtml
Link Removed
Edit: Forgot to mention, be SURE to remove all traces of any previous sound card drivers. This is where most problems come in.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered the Fortissimo II, after reading some reviews around the net. Seems like it's the right card for me.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DFH