What's new

Help Me Choose a Receiver (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hey All,
Receiver I currently have is starting to crap out. Had it for 3-4 years, but I guess now time for a new one.
Was hoping for some advice on what to get based on what I think I would need/want
HD Audio (I'm guessing this is pretty much default now on any current receiver on the market)
At least 5 HDMI inputs
3-D Pass Through
Wireless Internet/Bluetooth compatible
iPod inputs (easily accessible ie. in front)
Controllable via IOS/Andriod
4K Pass Through a plus
What would be best in say the 500-600 dollar range
Amazon recommended the following
Any help/advice appreciated

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think the native network feature is going to limit you. I've never been a fan of Sony receivers, but that one looks pretty nice. The only think I noticed is that is has A|B switching instead of zone 1|2. I think that's a benefit, but if you wanted to run a distinct zone-2 it would be a limitation.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Currently I don't have any zones where I live, so that wouldn't mean much to me at this point.
There are some others that we recommended by Amazon (above the sony one). Some Yamaha, an Onkyo (although I have an older Onkyo now that has started to fail). Seems like they all have similar features overall, but are there any clear recommendations on brand that would help me narrow down what to look at?
One thing I forgot to mention is that a phono input would be a plus

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Look toward Onkyo(and how old is the one starting to fail?) if you want a phono input.
The 70X(since the models numbers switched gears...717) models are the first...and lowest cost(even at original MSRP) that still have one.
The lowest priced Denons are the 2312(last years, and pretty sure it had one) and this years 3313.
Pioneer I don't think has one, Elite still does, but not till $1200(last I checked)
If Sony still provides one, I'll be shocked(been forever since I cared about Sony)
HK might have one for around the same price as Onkyo...but HK has issues. They sound great...but still have issues.
Yamahas RX-V and HTR don't have one. The RX-A820 I think still has one...if not, the 1020.
Regardless...outside of Onkyo and HK...you are looking at $1000+ for the AVR to include phono.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, phono input would be a plus, but I suppose I could get get a preamp.
I think am starting to lean toward the Yamaha RX-V673. Overall, seems to have most of the specs/features I am looking for.
Good Choice?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as it does what you want.
The only gripe I ever read about the 673(other than "Where did the pre-outs from the 667 go?") is when it comes to the Wii. IF you connect your Wii via component to get 480P, it can't add it to the HDMI.
Makes no sense it can add 480I and 720P/1080I...but not 480P. Unless that is some "gaming refresh rate" snafu going on.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As long as it does what you want.
How about in terms of quality. Generally, does Yahama make good receivers (I've heard they have, but wanted to get a consensus here)
Hmm,
I do have a Wii, but I don't use it much anymore. Perhaps I'll upgrade to the WilU at some point.
I'm not sure I'm following when you say, "It can't add it to the HDMI though?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Without question(outside of Anthem/NAD and the other "We don't make bargain stuff") the RX-A line is the best made AVR.
HDMI upconversion...taking analog input(composite, S-video and component) to HDMI. Been a feature in AVR since the dawn of HDMI. Ever prior to HDMI when there was component only. There was "component up-conversion". Matter of fact...all AVR(AFAIK) still do component up-conversion.
The 673 has issues with 480P conversion to HDMI. The only (allowed) way to get 480P is via component(very early in S-video...it was briefly allowed to carry 480P). The only "common" 480P anymore is the Wii.
How many of us still use a 480P component DVD player?
I bet even fewer people are using LD.
And even fewer than that are using S-VHS.
Does anybody on this forum have a D-VHS?

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I don't see how you beat the Onkyo 809 for $469 now at Amazon. I've had mine for 1.5 years with no problem. Immediately upon replacing my Yamaha RX-V1800, the 809 clearly sounded superior on both music and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks