What's new

Help me choose a receiver? (1 Viewer)

Jason_L

Auditioning
Hello,

I need help because the Pioneer VSX-D557 receiver I've had since X-Mas 1998 might be dead (I'm waiting for an estimate from the repair shop right now - basically the it randomly just stopped outputting the front channels the other day).

So if it costs too much to fix I am just going to buy a new one. However with The Two Towers extended dvd coming out in a little over a week I really don't have as much time to research receivers as much I normally like.

I already have a nice set of Energy speakers (the Encore 5.1 set) so the receiver is the only thing I need to replace.

So I was wondering here if anybody could recommend any good receivers. Ordering B&M or online is no problem. I'd like to spend $400 - $800.

I definitely want DTS 6.1 and DD 6.1 capability (I have a DVD player that outputs DTS and I figure I can pick up a center rear speaker someday for not too much money).
S-Video switching would be cool I guess... but does running video through a receiver instead of directly to the TV cause a loss of signal clarity at all?
Should I get Component-switching to future-proof myself? (I don't have a tv with component inputs yet)
I have no need for a phono input.
More than one digital input is necessary also cause I have the dvd player and digital cable (HBO airs a surprising amount of movies in 5.1).
I don't even know what other features receivers have had in the last 5 years since I researched one. Do they make receivers yet that you can turn off any of the 6 chanels at will yet (like say if you wanted to listen to only the rear channels for whatever reason)?

So I guess I'm just looking for any good recommendations, especially like any good ones that there is a good deal on right now somwhere, stuff like that. Or even recommendations on brands to check out in AV stores.

Thanks for any help!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Most mid-range recievers now have component switching, but I wouldn't worry if the one you want doesn't, since it looks like DVI or some other digital system will replace it soon. Besides, as you said, you could hook up the component directly to the TV.

I would stay away from the bottom-of-the-line models... in the lower mid-range you get heftier transformers and better DACs, models such as Yamaha RX-V1400, Marantz SR6300, Onkyo 600, etc.

Jason_L

Auditioning
Hello,

Most of the models I've looked at so far:

Onkyo TX-SR501, TX-SR601, TX-SR701
Integra DTR-5.4
Yamaha RX-V440, RX-V540, RX-V640, RX-V740

Only have one coax input for digital audio. They all seem to have many optical inputs. I thought coax was better than optical - why do they make receivers with 4 or 6 optical inputs for one coax input? This sucks because I was using coax connection for the dvd player and my digital cable box on my old set up. Am I going to have to buy a friggin optical wire if I want to use both my dvd player and digital cable box with today's receivers?

Or can anyone recommend a receiver in the $400-800 range that has at least 2 coax digital audio inputs?

Thanks for any help.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
denon 3803 brand new in the box from 6ave.com.
They are an authorized denon etailer and are currently running a deal where you can get the 3803 for $648.06 shipped.

Call them, request a 3802 and they will tell you that you can get the 3803 for the same price.

Its really a no brainer for a receiver that has a MSRP f $1199 and normally retails for $999.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I think the HK AVR-230 is a nice piece. It provides a nice amount of power as well as nice features and it is 6.1. It also includes pre-outs incase you ever wanna hook up a big amplifier....

But for what you have I think the HK AVR-230 is a very nice piece. It will run you about $450 or so and it performs very well. Hope this helps you out in your search.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Jason:

The new Yamaha RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 seem to be great receivers, though I have yet to demo them myself.

A quick search on Dealtime revealed the best "non-authorised" price on the 1400 to be about $560 plus shipping, and about $685 plus shipping for the 2400.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Stephen*G

Auditioning
Onkyo TX-SR 601 is a great receiver. I picked one up on line for $399.00 price includes freight and this baby has great sound and a powered second zone which I hooked to some Klipsch outdoor speakers. I looked at Denon, Sony, HK, and Yamaha in my search, and IMO the Onk was the best price to value. ;)

Jason_L

Auditioning
Well thanks for all the help. I just couldn't pass up that amazing deal 6th ave has on the Denon 3803 so I went ahead and ordered one even though I haven't gotten the estimate from the repair shop my Pioneer is in. I'll post here how I like it when it comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks