Help Me Choose a Rear Projection Tv please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rik Southcott, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Rik Southcott

Help Me Choose a Rear Projection Tv please
    the biggest i can get is 51" , which model and make is the best?

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

3. Rik Southcott

i need a 16:9 tv
    sitting about 9foot from the tv
    my budget is about £3000 (uk pounds)

4. Dan Driscoll

That's very roughly US$4,500 and here in the US that would get you a very nice set set, possibly even a Pioneer Elite Pro-510. But I have no idea what RPTV's sell for in the UK, so take that with a grain of salt.
    At 9' I would not want anything bigger than 55", although some may argue that. I like the US/NTSC model Pioneer (non-Elite) SD-533 and Toshiba 50HX81 sets, but I don't know how their EU/PAL equivalents perform. You haven't mentioned your viewing habits, so I don't know if cable or OTA is important to you. If you are only plan to watch DVDs and HD on this set then youshould also look into the Mitsubishi sets.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. Rik Southcott

my viewing habits are watching dvds and digital saterlite [​IMG]

6. Rik Southcott

also how do u set the tv up to make sure u dont get screen burn?

7. Dan Driscoll

I just realized you said 51" was the largest you could get, so that means the Pioneer won't fit. it is 53".
    To avoid burn-in problems 16:9 sets have black or grey bars on the sides of the 4:3 picture. Some sets (Mitsubishi?) actually move the picture very slowly from left to right and back again to prevent burn-in. But what a lot of people prefer is to stretch, expand or zoom a 4:3 signal to fill the 16:9 screen. Some sets are better at this than others. The best, IMO, are Pioneer and Toshiba. Mitsubishi and Hitachi have (again, IMO) very bad stretch modes. The 47" Panasonic does a decent job and it is less expensive than the 50" Toshiba.
    ------------------
    Dan

8. Rik Southcott

i like the look of the sony 51" (KP51DS1)
    also there a new toshiba 50" rear projection widescreen tv (50WT19B) out in october
    any thoughts on these?

9. Dan Driscoll

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

What are the specs on the toshiba 50wt19b?
    ------------------

11. Rik Southcott

12. Rik Southcott

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

It is difficult to make a comparison of the specs between the model you are showing and any model here in North America. The specifications for your model set are quite a bit different from Toshiba HX model widescreens in N.A. It is possible that it is equivalent to the HX models over here but there is no way to tell with certainty from the specifications shown on the site you provided. If it is equivalent to the HX models over here then it would not be a bad set. The HX models over here have a pretty nice picture. The implementation of Digital TV on your side of the pond seems quite a bit different from the North American model. Have they settled on a set of standards for implementation of High Definition TV in Great Britain?
    ------------------