Help me choose a projector :)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Johnson, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I know there are probably a thousand projector threads but I guess each one has it's own specifics.

My room is 18.5' long x 12.5 wide.

The couch is on the north wall about 6 inches from the wall (enough room for rear speaker stands)......so I could either ceiling mount it, or place it on the coffee table in front of the couch (I'd probably prefer a ceiling mount)

The screen I was thinking of would be a pulldown model that would come down in front of my regular TV/entertainment stand (south wall).... which would put it out about 2.5 feet.

I would only be using it for movies & at night so room lighting is not much a factor.

As far as what I want too spend.....under $1000.

I've seen a few different models in this price range but still unsure about throw distances, lumens, best picture quality, etc.

Anyways. Thanks in advance for your time & help. If you need more specifics let me know : )

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    For under $1,000 you will be sticking with a 480p projector. How tall is your ceiling? Is your throw distance flexible(where you will ceiling mount projector?)
    I will guess your eyes will be about 17' from screen when seated? If so, you can use a 8' wide screen with no problem. My top choice would be the new Infocus IN72. Second choice would be the Optoma H27(unless you have a low ceiling, because it has a HUGE image offset, 57%). Third choice would be the Infocus 4805.

3. Brian Johnson

Thanks Jim.

My ceiling is 8' high.

As far as mount locations......I do have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room that extends down about 1' 2".

I'm not sure about throw distances, but I figure if I get if far enough back, then the fan wouldn't be in the way (?).... but I'm not sure what a "good" distance is. Is 15'-16' too far away too mount it?
    I am shooting for a 92"-100" screen.

Great suggestion on the IN72. Infocus has them for $1299 w/ $300 rebate now....which would put it in just under my budget.

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Brian, try TV Authority, a sponsor of this forum and AVS. They have a super sweet price on the IN72, which you should get for your budget, even before the rebate!!

Dan

5. Brian Johnson

Wow. At that price (after the rebate) I don't see how I could pass that up.

I was going to ask if I should maybe try a Sanyo Z3 and go up too 720p, but I think for a starter projector the IN72 will be perfect. I don't see myself jumping into the new HD DVD formats anytime soon.
    My main use will be for DVD although I may try my Xbox on it.

So thanks Dan and Jim. I think you just saved me $300. $600 overall. [​IMG])

(another big plus is at 15'4" the IN72 is 100" ...perfect)

6. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    www.projectcentral.com
    ^read up man =). it's one of the foremost authorities on front projector.

imho, the biggest decision you must decide is 4:3 or 16:9.

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Brian, in case you didn't notice, a 100" diagonal image is the "smallest" you will get at 15.4' throw distance. The largest will be 120" diagonal.

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Just to join the consensus, I would get the IN72 also. I have its big brother the IN76 and it is a pretty amazing projector. I have no doubt the IN72 will blow you away quality wise.