What's new

Help me choose a projector (1 Viewer)

RobV

Grip
Hello,
I just got rid of a Sony VPL-W400Q projector, Could anyone tell me of another projector that is of equal quality for around $2300.00. I have a room that is 20' by 15' and I can control all of the light.
Thank You..

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,
When you say you 'got rid' of the SONY, were u dissatisfied or was it malfunctioning in anyway?
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

RobV

Grip
Everything was fine with the Sony but had problems with the dealer. Ended up having to send it back I had no choice.
I Just found another one but wanted to find out about the NEC540 or the NEC LTC155. Thank You for Reply.
Both The NEC and the Sony I found Are brand new out of the box For the same price W/WARR.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
In your budget you can't go past the LT150. I've owned/tried almost a dozen LCD and DLP projectors in the past year and a half and the LT150 is the best.
There is also a mod being developed that will make it even better, more than doubling the already good contrast.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Steve:
What does the mod consist of? Do you have to have the projector itself modified or is this something that is an add on?
Parker

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I used to have a Thumper modded Plus UP1100 and it was a big improvement. If a similar gain can be had with the LT150 and a Dillard style calibration done it will be killer.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Stephen Dodds on August 12, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

MichaelHL

Auditioning
I am just looking at getting a new TV but would rather get the projector to use. How are you hookin it up to your DVD player? Will prograssive DVD be ok with it? And sorry for being ignorant, but what does HTPC mean? THanks for the help, I am kinda new to this but picking up and enjoying it greatly. Can;t wait to get the new equipment.
------------------
Michael

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Progressive vs. interlaced is the recommended way to go for the best quality on this projector. HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer.
Pete

MichaelHL

Auditioning
Thank you pete, That is what I thought but was not sure. I am looking at using a Sony 9000ES or a Panasonic RP91 player for it. I am going to put it firing toward a Dalite screen from the back of the room. But I am going to make it portable hopefully to where I can take it with me when I do presentations off my laptop. I have an extra computer but do not know if I want to hook it up to the projector for a HTPC. I think the picture would be much better with the player then the computer anyway. Any thoughts on this? The only part about making it portable is having to reset all the adjustments each time when I take it with me or is there something I can do about this? I kinda need it for both though. Any suggestions or idea on this and the best way to do it? Thanks for the help.
Michael

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Not owning either a projector or HTPC, I would probably be the wrong individual to give you answers to your questions. I've been reading these forums regularly for sometime now debating on whether to go FPTV or WS RPTV so I've become slightly educated on the pros & cons of both & also recommended hardware choices for DVD, HDTV & analog playback. I suggest you hit the LCD & HTPC forums at http://www.avsforums.com for a lot more detailed info. It's amazing how much you'll learn just going through some of the posted threads! Good luck!
Pete

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Michael, an HTPC will almost always outperform a standalone dvd player when hooked up to an XGA or higher resolution projector. This is because the dvd image needs to be scaled to the native resolution of the projector. The scaling performed by a well-built HTPC is usually much better than the scaling performed by the projector itself.
As for settings, there is usually a menu option on most projectors to reset all settings to factory defaults. Beyond this, I would recommend you just write down what settings should be what. It shouldn't take more than a minute to set everything the way you want.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I saw a demo of the Plus HE-3100 "Piano" home theater projector at INFOCOMM:
http://www.plus-america.com
It's a DLP light engine unit based on TI's new Widescreen Component chip set, the 480P 848 x 480 res. They wouldn't divulge pricing, but said it will be very affordable, FWIW.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
[Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on August 14, 2001 at 07:58 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks