Help me choose a portable dvd player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Clayton, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Steve Clayton

Steve Clayton Auditioning

I have it narrowed down (a bit anyway) to the following, but am having a hell of a time making a decision because I can't actually see any of these within a 100 mile radius of south eastern Connecticut!
    Panasonic dvd-lv70/75
    Seems to get the most consistently good reviews, good availabilty and price, the 75 has DD and DTS decoding
    toshiba SD-P1500
    Seems to be the newest. Always impressed with Toshiba quality, 8" screen, no reviews out, no decoding
    Sharp DV-L80
    8" screen, Dolby Pro Logic decoding, several reviews...but inconsistent rating of picture quality
    Any help ???

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    my friend has a panasonic lv75 he got for his b-day. (lucky man!) i took a trip with him once and we hooked up a headphone amp and 2 pairs of Sennheisers. Wow. for a portable player, i was amazed.

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    If you can find a Toshiba SD-P1000 that's the one to get. It's the only progressve scan portable on the market. The difference it makes on even a portable screen is amazing if you compare it side by side with any other model. The picture is photo-sharp. The screen is only 5.8" which some people think is too small. I can't stress enough that the picture more than makes up for it.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I went to Pricescan.com and found the Toshiba DVD Player SD-P1000 for $569.
    I just ordered it!
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JohnS on October 21, 2001 at 04:59 AM]

5. Ian R

Ian R Agent

I've had the Panasonic LA85 for about 6 months now. The picture is amazing. It's a great player. Unfortuantely, I'm probably going to sell it because I never use it.
    I researched a few of them. The most recommendations I got were for the Pannasonic and Pioneer.
    Ian R

6. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

How about a lap top with a dvd drive in it? [​IMG]