What's new

Help me choose a new DVD player for my 65" HDTV (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I just bought a new 65" Hitachi XWX HDTV that will be delivered on Thursday, and I'm looking for advice on a new DVD player. I'm looking for something in the $500 price range. I'm assuming I want a progressive scan player. I have a Panasonic RV31 player now, but it's not progressive scan. Would progressive scan look better with my new HDTV? DVD audio would be a nice feature also; same with SACD, but my main concern is with video performance. I have a set of Definitive Technology speakers: BP 2000tl's for the fronts (tower speakers with sub built in), a CLR 2000 for the center, and BPX surrounds. Right now the only speakers I have set as large are the towers, so if I were to get a player with DVD audio, will it be able to accomodate this setup with bass management?

I've heard good things about the Denon 1600 and the Pioneer Elite 45a with regard to audio and video. Is one of these better than the other? Are there any other players in my $500 price range that would be better? I've also looked at the Panasonic RP 82, but I just don't like the styling or color.

One last newbie question: Do all progressive scan players have 3:2 pulldown? Does the Denon or Pioneer have this? I know my new TV has it on one of the settings, but if a DVD player also has it, does it override the TV's processing?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
You won't find a DVD player with DVD-audio and SACD built in for $500, unless you are willing to sacrifice video quality by purchasing an Apex. At this point, I think your best bet would be to go with a DVD player from Toshiba, which would offer the best video performance in your price range.

SACD and DVD-Audio, while excellent formats, are still in their infancy, and it may be better to wait a year or so and then purchase a dedicated DVD-Audio/SACD player.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You could always get a Denon 1600, which is a solid performer video-wise and has DVD-Audio, and then get a seperate SACD player down the road. The Denon does have rudimentary bass management for DVD-A, but if you find that it doesn't handle it effectively for your needs, you could add an Outlaw ICBM.

As far as the progressive signal goes, the processing will be done by the DVD player bypassing the TV's processing circuitry.

DJ

Brent_H

Second Unit
I have the Pioneer Elite dv-45a and absolutely LOVE it. It does suffer from the chroma bug, but I havent really noticed that much. SACD and DVD-A quality are very nice...unless you jump up to the $1000 price range, this is your best bet.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks