Help me choose a console. Please be objective as possible

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenK, Mar 15, 2002.

1. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Hope ya'll can help out.

Age old questiong...which console to get. I am truly, 100% split between the PS2 and the X-Box.

Let me first tell you my setup. The system will be hooked up to a XGA front projection system via DScaler on an HTPC. Hopefully, this will reduce some of PS2's jaggies problems. Also, the HTPC will be my main gaming machine and DVD player. I just want the console for the few games that don't come to the PC and as a back-up machine.

Here's how I break it down:

Hardware - the XBox hands down. But then it's not even close to as powerful as my HTPC with an nForce mb.

Software - I play Sports games, driving games, RTS games, and the occasional first person shooter. IMO, all of these genres are much better on the PC, with the exception of 2 games I badly want...NBA 2K2 and Gran Turismo. Halo looks interesting, but I can just play Unreal Tournament 2 on the PC (when it comes out) and be even happier.

Don't let me understate the importance of GT3 for me. I have logged well over 10,000 hours playing and replaying GT1, GT2, and bleemcast GT2! But should I get an entire system with inferior hardware just for one game?

Please tell me what other pros and cons (aside from the FAQ) to consider. Thanks for your time.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Just get the PS2 & GT3 & be happy. [​IMG]
    It sounds like the Gran Turismo series is what makes you want a console, & the PS2 is the only system that will have that series. Your HTPC will give you the rest of the games you want.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Sound like you have already decided the game you most want to play so just go ahead and get the PS2. You won't be disappointed.

4. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Well, been reading up on Rallisport Challenge and a preview of Sega GT 2002.

How would you guys compare RC to say Colin McCrae Rally or International Rally Championship? What do you think about Sega GT?

The only reason I play Gran Turismo so much was because there were no other similar simulations available on the consoles or PCs. That is, no other racing game allowed you to drive Toyota Corollas in a race!

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Seriously, just get a PS2. People say the DC is so great because you can get old games that are great for a small amount, the PS2 has a similar thing (somewhat old great games cheap) but its still alive.

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Ditto. Get the PS2. Software should be the only deciding factor when selecting a console.

7. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

If your willing to wait on Sega GT, then I would get an XBox. Sega GT is said to be better than GT3.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

9. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

If you love GT then it's simple, get a PS2 and start playing it now!

They've dropped a few hints as to what they have instore with GT4...

Speaking at the Tokyo Amlux Auto Salon show in Japan, the legendary game-maker confirmed that online racing will feature in the title, as well as the ability to test cars before splashing your hard-earned money. Extra parts will also be available for download, and this time you'll be able to add tasty body parts as well as engine components.

10. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I have an XBOX. I am happy. All of us must live w/ our OWN decisions. If you are leaning towards a PS2, get it and be happy w/ it. To me, the PS2 is only getting older and Sony seems to be leaking rumors of a PS3. For anyone contemplating a PS2, or have recently purchased a PS2, the last thing you want to hear about is a "PS3". PS3 means soon-to-be obsolesence w/ the PS2. That alone would warrant the purchase of an XBOX to me. But again, make your decision and live w/ it.

11. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Steven,

Why not give the two systems a rent?

For PS2:

Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Metal Gear Solid 2

For X-Box:

Halo, Rallisport Challenge, and NBA2K2

Play for a little while, and see which you like better.

12. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Ike has a great idea. THat way you'll have the satisfaction of knowing which console you enjoyed more without any regrets.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I would agree with the rent thing, but its pretty expensive to rent 2 consoles and 6 games, then buy one of those consoles and several games. The PS2 has a lot of games and has more to come, so I would go with that. The X-Box has some games, but not as many as the PS2 (same for the GameCube).

About the PS3....

The rumors that are "leaking" are just things about the technology, not the release date. It won't be out until at least 2005 (if they rush) and will probably be out around 2006. Considering the PS2 came out in 2000, 5 or 6 years for a console is good.

And the PS2 is not getting old. Its getting good games to add to the ones it has.

14. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

Here's a simpler way to look at it. If you want the best system right now, then get a PS2, and that is simply because of the selection of games they currently have. If you want the system that will be better long term, then get the XBox. In a year, there won't be as many exclusives, and most of the games will be on both systems. As far as the actual system, here's what your getting for the same price (although I think I heard the PS2 may go down in price soon but I'm not sure). You get almost the same thing as far as gameplay/graphics. XBox can push out so many more polygons a second and is however much faster, but honestly, I don't see it as that big of a difference. But the XBox also has a built in HD, a built in ethernet adapter, HDTV ready, Dolby Digital 5.1, and their online service is going to be great (remember, this thing was built from the ground up to be online). So I guess its all in how you see it. Personally, I think they are both great systems, but if I were choosing one today, I would buy an XBox, but that's just my opinion.

15. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Thank you all very much for your inputs. I have decided to wait for Sega GT 2002 and purchase the X-Box at that time. I figure GT2 Bleemcasted will keep me occupied til then. I was about to purchase the PS2, but I just couldn't justify a system with inferior hardware for basically one game only.

Anyhow, thanks much for the input.

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Ask yourself this question:

What will happen if my console breaks?

I don't know about the Ps2, but when my XBox broke, they send me an airbourne express carton the NEXT day, it went out THAT day, and I had it back 4 days later, in pristene condition, and working great. All for free.

18. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

Was this repair under their extended warranty or just normal coverage? I just bought an xbox on wednesday and I'm debating if I should get the extended coverage.

Mike

19. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I didn't mean the "inferior hardware" comment as a "diss" of the PS2 system. I meant it in terms of actually hardware performance (aka Memory transfer rates, processor speed, video ram) and DVD performance. Obviously I understand that hardware numbers dont' mean everything (I know, I own a DC and a Genesis before that), but the games on the PS2 other than GT3 don't do anything for me. So it really did come down to inferior hardware w/GT3 vs. superior hardware w/Sega GT. I'm taking the risk with the X-Box because among other things, I can't stand the jaggies of the PS2 sometimes.

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Did you ever play SegaGT on the DC?