What's new

Help me choose a 42" RPTV (1 Viewer)

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Due to physical dimensions in my present HT setup I have narrowed my choices to the following models:

Toshiba 42H82 -- available at BestBuy for $1799.99

Samsung HCM4215W -- at BestBuy for 1599.99 + 131.99 for stand

Samsung HCM422W -- at Ultimate Electronics for 1552.00 + 99.00 for stand

I only have 40" max width to shoehorn one of these into and these models would be perfect as they are 39.5" wide. This is my main constraint. My viewing distance will be 9 feet away within a fairly limited viewing angle. This will also be in my basement with no natural light from the outside to reflect. The conditions seem ideal for an RPTV.

I have also considered 36" and 40" 4:3 direct view as well as 34" 16:9 (HDTV-ready) sets, but I have determined that I can get more square inches of viewing for roughly half the price out of an RPTV.

I am open to ther suggestions that I could fit into this space. As much as I would love a Plasma set, they are way out of my price range!

This will be my first HDTV-ready unit as well as my first RPTV.

I would especially appreciate any comments (negative or positive) from owners of any of these models, to help me decide.

BTW: I will be hooking up a Panasonic RP91k DVD player and an RCA UltimateTV DirecTV box as well as local cable as sources. I also have a VCR...but who cares. All will pass thru a Denon 2802 receiver for switching via component video os S-video. Hopefully will get a HDTV tuner within a year or two.

Thanks

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would go with the Toshiba over the Samsung. One reason is because there is a lot more support for it. The Toshiba has a better line doubler, this will come in handy until you get an HD tuner.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I think Sony is coming out with a "tabletop" 43 inch rptv around november. You might want to look into that.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Of the models you mentionned I also would go with the Toshiba, since the Sony's too big. Toshiba has lots of tweaking information available, a good line doubler, and among the best stretch modes in the business.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Vic,

I saw that too! Anybody know what exactly is the difference between the Toshiba 42H82 and the 42H81?

I assume it's just last years model. What improvements/changes are there?

Thanks for all the replies. I will check out the Mitsu. Is it out yet? Where?

Al

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Ultimate Electronics should have the Mits 42" as soon as they are available. That would be the best set of the ones you are considering.

Scott

Chet Hayes

Agent
Al

The main difference between the 50H81 and 82 is that the 81 being last years model, is not DVI upgradable. The 82 is upgradable with a service call, which Toshiba has said they do not expect to cost more than $300.

RicardoAZ

Auditioning
Al_M,

You should also consider the Sony KP43HT20 4:3. It does the 16:9 squeeze for 1080i HD and 480i/480p DVD so it gives you the equivalent of a 39.5 inch widescreen TV. It also does an excellent job with standard TV.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Why would I want the ability to upgrade to DVI anyway? What's this hype all about?

Steve_M

Auditioning
fyi...goodguys has a large picture/description of the new Mitsu 42" (wt-42311) in their ad this weekend. Says they are selling have it for $1999

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
All,

Thanks for input/info, but I decided to go with the Toshiba 42H82 at Onecall. TV, 4-year extended warranty, AudioQuest component and an S-video (for SAT) cables + shipping came out to $2047.50. Would have cost me close to $2500 at BB.

Since Toshiba has in-home service included in their warranty and Onecall extends this service with their warranty, this was a no brainer.

I'll probably be getting back to report my experience and help me hookup/tweak the set!

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have had the Toshiba 42H82 up and running now for almost a week and I must say that watching DVD's is phenomenal! :emoji_thumbsup: The picture is very smooth and film-like. As this is my first 16:9 digital set, I think I finally figured out what anamorphic DVD is all about as well.
As I was well aware of (from reading posts here and at AVS), the picture from other sources, namely DirecTV and cable leaves you a bit dissapointed. For the most part satellite is OK at best, depending on the channel/program being watched. Cable can downright stink! I can't believe how crappy the signal over cable can be. The set really does exagerate flaws and noise in the signal.
The best way to describe the picture from sources other than my progressive DVD (Panny RP91k) is to think of a highly compressed JPEG image that has been zoomed in. Pixelization can be annoying at times.
I have an RCA UltimateTV DirecTV receiver that is due to be exchanged before March at the Ultimate Electronics where I got it from. (Trade in program they offered for 24.95 at the time of purchase) I thought I could hold out a year or two before diving into a HDTV STB, but the quality of the 480p output of my DVD player has me panting for more. I am seriously considering trading that RCA box for a 199.95 credit on an HDTV/DirecTV STB.
The only drawback of this would be that I will lose my PVR/UltimateTV functions -- and that SUCKS! :frowning: My wife has already expressed her disapproval for my plan. We are both addicted to timeshifting our favorite programs!
With that in mind, I would like to pose a question. Can a HDTV/DirecTV STB work in conjunction with a PVR such as TiVO, ReplayTV, etc.? I am not necessarily interested in recording in Hi-Def. I just want to be able to watch Hi-def programming live, but still be able to timeshift satellite programming. (even if it is not in HD)
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks