What's new

Help me choice between these entry level receivers (1 Viewer)

Jason-Lev

Auditioning
I have been reading these meassage boards for the last two months trying to find the best equipment for me. I was all set on a HK avr-225, but they are not longer offered at either ecost or pcmall, who had them for 230 and 260. Yesterday I was looking around on ecost and they recently put up a number of open box specials. So of these receivers I would like to know which one you recomend the most.
My setup will include a set of jbl s38II for the front bookshelves and a dayton sub. I will then had the front and surronds a little later.
I have very basic connections of only a dvd player and digital cable box and maybe a PS2. So I think all of the receivers have enough inputs/outputs for now, but its always nice to may more for the future.
Anyway, the three receivers are:

Yamaha rx-v630, Denon AVR-883, and the onkyo tx-sr501.
All can be had for under 200 dollars and I would like to know which one would be the best fit for me or are they all pretty equal. Also would it be worth me waiting to find another deal on an avr-225, since that was my first choice.
Thanks for any help and glad to be a member of this forum.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Isn't the Yamaha 630 an older version- they have a 640 now. which means that it (630) probably doesnt have some of the s/w (most notably it's 5.1 and doesn't have Dolby pro Logic II, but I can't remember exactly)

AFAIK the Onkyo is the new model with 6.1, DPLII etc.

Have you looked in HK's ebay store they do refurbs...

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll vote for the Onkyo SR-501 from my recent experiences with it.

Super easy to use
50mhz component video switching
6.1 6 high current amps
6.1 nice compliment of processing to use it
Great sound
DPLII

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks