Help me buy some speakers to match EAD...today.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Need some new speakers buy this weekend since I just sold my Def Techs BP 30's. I have EAD Encore and HK PA 5800 amp. I am willing to spend about $800. ANy recommendations slender towers or bookshelves would do, but something musical and dynamic. Thanks!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef q3 or q5

3. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

The EAD encore as a processor is awesome. The EAD theatermaster as a simple 2 chan. preamp is said to be one of the very top 2 chan. preamps by audiophile reviewers (mags. etc...) Bottom line, pick a speaker you like and the EAD will get out of the way of the music without coloration or additional signatures.
    Now for my 2 cents:
    I have my EAD 8000 with NHT and love it.
    If you like these speakers, you can find new/nearly new nht 2.5s for about 600.00. You can find the 2.9s used for about 1000.00-1200.00. I would spring for the 2.9s if you can go up that much. Just seems like a shame to skimp when you have such good equip. upstream.
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fs_srch.pl

4. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks guys, hoping to get some more rec'd today. I am goin to audition some Paradigms Ref and perhaps some B&W 600 series. Jeff, are those electrostatics? By whom?

6. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

If you have a local dealer that sells Canton speakers do yourself a favor and check out the Ergo line. These are an incredibly detailed speaker made by a small German firm. I think they are far superior to Paradigm Studio 20s and the B&W 600 series.

7. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I'd be interested in knowing what you end up with; We have the Ovation and the Powermaster 1000. Right now, we're running old Bostons, and we'll be upgrading at some point. It sounds great now, even with budget speakers. So far, I've liked Paradigm 100's and Vandersteen 2's, but I'm interested in hearing what others find out. I really liked the 100's, the midrange is really smooth and not harsh like a lot of High End loudspeakers I've heard.