1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me buy my Dad a birthday present! (JBL Northridge N38?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Aug 10, 2001.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

After about ten years my Father's old AR 28B's have finally died and he wants new speakers to replace them. He is not into home theater at all (well he does run the tv audio through the speakers via an old receiver) but he does have 2 bookshelf size JBL G100's hooked up to the receiver. So I was thinking of getting him a pair of JBL Northridge Model N38's from Best Buy (I know, I know) to somewhat match the other JBL speakers. The reason I was planning on Best Buy was because I can get the speakers at an employee discount through a friend. My Father is not very picky, but I want to make sure I am not making a huge mistake! Are they decent speakers for a small room?
    Thanks...
    james
    ------------------
    When in doubt...Rock it out.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I'm not sure if these are in your price range, but I thought the S38's were far better than anything else in the Best Buy JBL display. Not counting all the floorstanders, of course; even though the S38 sounded better than some of the floorstanders.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I don't think they sell the Studio series at Best Buy. I'll look around for them though.
    james

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The Best buys around here do sell the S series JBL and I heartily reccommend them. My brother uses the S 38 for mains and I have the N26 for rears. All JBL for both of us. BTW I have an old set of L=100 JBL for mains and they just kick butt.....
    ------------------

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

But are the JBL Northridge N38's a good speaker for someone who is not an "audiophile" and is happy with the sound of JBL speakers?
    james

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

This has nothing to do with being an audiophile. Take your Dad to a Best Buy, go to the JBL display, and press the buttons to switch between the speakers as the music is playing. Pick a song that's in the genre he's interested in (rock, classical, etc.), and, if possible, pick a song that he's familiar with. Then, let him see which speaker he likes better. For all you know, he might like the sound of the N38's better, or something else, or he might not hear a difference at all (which IMO is pretty unlikely).

7. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

They do indeed sell the JBL studio series at Best Buy. That's where I got mine! You'll be very happy, they are excellent speakers with excellent sound. S38's are well worth every cent and definitely the best thing Best Buy can offer!
    Mike