First, my portable setup:
Source: Nomad Jukebox 3 20 Gig
Headpone Amp: DIY Portable META42
Headphones: Home : Sennheiser HD580
Home/Travel : Ety4S
Portable : Sennheiser PX200
File Transfer Software: Red Chair Notmad
Carrying Case: Leather CD Player Case

So now that that is out of the way, HD MP3 players obviously have 2 purposes; Music and File transfer.

From a purely file transfer standpoint, the Nomad Jukebox is not the best tool. However, with the right software, it is just as accessible as any other product. I actually keep the latest version of Notmad ($25) on a small usb stick to install on any computer I happen to be around. This makes it pretty easy to move large files back and forth any time I need to. Works out pretty well.

But the true shining point about the Nomad is that it is arguably the best sounding HD MP3 player on the market. with the dedicated line out and a headphone amp, it's pretty amazing. I'll admit right now, I haven't heard an IPOD. The price is a little daunting, considering what I've already spent on my setup. But to be honest, everything I've read makes me feel even better about the Nomad.

As far as Pamela's recommendation on the Etys. Again, arguably the best headphones available on the market, unless you're willing to spend thousands on an Orpheus, STAX system, or Tube Amps with high end Grados or Sennheisers.

You can get the ER4P's with an additional removable extension cable that mods them to the 4S model. The 4S's require a headphone Amp to really pull the superior sound out of them.

You really need to get used to them though. Canal phones are interesting if you've never had anything in your ears before.

Kraig

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I checked on ipod use with extracting tracks using Ephpod and playing in winamp as hard drive:

1) Yes Ephpod will allow you to copy FROM ipod to PC for MP3. Bu right clicking on the list of songs on the IPOD and selecting COPY TO DIRECTORY (Ctrl-Alt-C is the shortcut) it will copy to the PC. Note it will sort folders by artist and name the file by sog title I since the IPOD throws away original file name.

2) YES, winamp will allow you to read directly from the IPOD when connected as a drive. By clicking ADD, ADD DIRECTORY and pointing winamp to the file locations of the files (ipodipod_controlmusic - note this directory is "hidden" so you might have to go into windows file pref and click "show hidden files" for this to diplay in winamp)

Winamp will load the contents of the music directories direct from the ipod, and read ID3 tags for title/artist-- and will play from the IPOD as a hard drive.

So, 2 for 2- exactly what you wanted

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
The iPod is certainly a nice device, but I went with a Creative Jukebox Zen as well and am quite happy. One thing I really like about it is the third-party software available called Notmad. This fully integrates the Zen into the Windows Explorer allowing you to simply drag and drop to and from the device.

Plus, it has fantastic tag management allowing you to correct tag errors and, very importantly, allow you tweak tags for compilation albums. Also - it creates tags on the fly based upon folder order on the PC. Very very cool.

For me, the price difference ($300 versus $500 at the time) made a big difference. I also liked the hard buttons which the iPod didn't have at the time.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks