Help me buy a pre/pro ......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Hugh, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Hugh

Hugh Auditioning

Hello everyone. I was wondering if you guys/girls could help with a dilema. I have found a pretty good price on a B&K Reference 30 (closeout), and was wondering if I could get some opinions on this pre/pro.

As most of you know, B&K is now offering a $500 upgrade to Ref30 owners that basically turns it into the Ref50. From my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the upgraded Ref 30 is for all intents and purposes a Ref 50 but without the balanced outputs. In all other ways, its the same?

Would people here consider it a good deal if I could get get the Ref30 + upgrade for about $2000? Would this be considered a 'bargain' compared to other products in the price range (not including used purchases)?

I'm a little scared having heard some of the issues regarding the Ref 50 (noise floor, defective units), but considering this purchase and the upgrade would fully warrantied ... I suppose I can live with it. Does anyone know if most of these issues have been corrected?

Can anyone think of anything else at $2000 that would be comparable ... or is it possible to find some higher end products near that price? I'm not too familier with the best places to find deals ... I suppose you can't get a new Ref 50 or Anthem 20 anywhere near $2000?

Another option is that I saw a closeout on a Philips Elite VSX-43TX (or maybe it was VSX-45TX), but obviously that unit isn't in the same class as the B&K.

Are there any feature differences between the B&K and the Anthem that should make me consider saving up more so I can get the Anthem instead?

Also, does anyone know if the Anthem or B&K upconvert sound from 44KHz to 92KHz or anything like that ... and what there maximum DAC frequency is? There seems to be some confusion about the DACs in the B&K versus the Anthem.

Thanks you!!

2. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Hugh,

I purchased a used Reference 50 from Audiogon for $2000 plus shipping. I'll be honest, I was a little nervous, as I'd never bought anything that expensive from an auction site before, but low and behold, it arrived in like new condition (as promised).

I have not had any problems with it (such as the noise some have posted about). I too, was looking at the Reference 30, but figured that the cheapest that I saw them for was $1100. So with the upgrade, it was only a couple of hundred dollars to jump up to the Reference 50. My rationale is that I can upgrade the Ref 50 in 3 years or so, but I'd probably only be able to upgrade the ref 30 once.

The best price I received for a new Reference 50 from a brick & mortar dealer was $2900 + 8.25% sales tax.

Anthony

3. Hugh

Hugh Auditioning

anth_c

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm a little worried about an auction though ... is it still warrantied? B&K claims they only honor warranties from authorized dealers.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

5. Hugh

Hugh Auditioning

Donnie Eldridge,

If you don't mind me asking ...

How do you feel about your Ref 50? Is it everything you were looking for?

Do you think its possible to get the Ref 50 at around $2000 ... and have it be fully warrantied?

How low can you get a B&K Ref 30?

I'm pretty new to the mid/high-end scene ... at least for purchases. So I basically have no idea what to expect as far as a real 'street price', nor do I know where to find good deals.

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor