Help me buy a new TV.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_Pr, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Bob_Pr

Bob_Pr Auditioning

I have been reading the forum's for awhile and am still a bit confused as to what is the way to go. I need to get a new TV, and have about 2500 to spend on it. But should I go HDTV 16x9, or should I go for a standard TV.
    Is it worth buying an HDTV ready TV right now, as I know that I will have to spend more money on a STB, and probably have to get a dish to be able to watch HDTV program's (which I am not sure my condo assoc. here in Princeton will let me do).
    Should I just go out and buy the best 50 inch or so direct view TV right now, and then wait a few years for the 16:9 HDTV's?
    What would you do if you were in my situation.
    P.S. Could you recommend some good models in the catagory that you suggest.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

With the amount of HD programming in your area without a doubt go with HD ready..Also couple an hd ready set with a progressive scan player and you will be in for some great movie viewing.
    ------------------

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

If you're going to spend that much money I don't think it makes sense to not get an HDTV ready set. These sets are generally better quality than a non-HDTV ready set. For $2500 you can get the new Toshiba 50H81 which is getting very good reviews. You will have to buy a STB to get HDTV programming but you do not need DirecTV or Dish Network. You can get HDTV off the air using an antenna. The number of stations you can pick up depends on where you live.

4. Pete B.

Pete B. Stunt Coordinator