Help me buy a Denon Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KrishnaS, May 9, 2004.

1. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

HI Guys,

Anyway, as the title says I need help buying a Denon receiver. My receiver and DVD player was stolen last year and I was moving around from place to place. I'm finally settled and plan on setting up my HT again.

Why Denon? I want the 5 channel stereo sound. And I've always loved Denons.

My speakers are the Energy Take 5 system with the 8" sub.

My plan is to buy a receiver now and add it to my system. Down the road I would like to upgrade my front two speakers and center and run them with an outboard amp.

I was all set on the Denon 1804 until I just found out that this recevier doesn't have pre outs for an outboard amp down the road. I want to keeo the option of upgrading so preouts are really important. I'd like to eventually add outboard amps all around and use the denon as a pre-pro until I can afford a Lexicon Mc1.

So that's my background. I could use some advice. Now that the 1804 is out which one should I buy? Buy new, used or refurbished. My budget is about $500 and anything less than that is welcome.

Suggestions? New used or refurebished. What model numbers? Where should I buy it from - jand r, ebay or ecost?

Thanks for your help.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Also, H/K and Yamaha have a 5-channel/7-channel stereo DSP, so you might not want to overlook these models.

I'd also look at the Denon AVR-2803, and check the used market, too.

3. KrishnaS

I'm really stuck on Denon. Always wanted one. I'll look a the 2803. Where is a good place to look for a used one? Ebay?

4. Wayne Ernst

As far as used goes, this forum or even Audiogon is a good place to start. I remember one was listed here about a month back for a good price.

Authorized vendors are also a good place to look. Dakmart.com is authorized to sell Denon and has a "B" stock 2803 for $489.

5. KrishnaS

Does the 2803 have the capability to add outboard amps so I can use the receiver only as a prepro?

6. Wayne Ernst

Yes, the AVR-2803 features pre-outs for the attachment of an external amplifier at a later time.

7. KrishnaS

What about a 2801? A member here has one for sale. Actually he has a 2801, 3801 and a 5700. The 5700 is overkill but the other two look promising. Are there any "much have" features the 2803 has over the 2801?

8. Wayne Ernst

Personally, I'd avoid the AVR-2801. The 2801 doesn't feature Dolby Pro Logic II. It just has regular Pro Logic. If you're ever going to desire to play stereo sources through all of your speakers, Pro Logic II is essential - in my opinion.

9. KrishnaS

Well, there are almost no stereo only sources that i have. What does ProLogic 2 offer above Prologic 1?

10. Wayne Ernst

Directly from the Dolby site:

What’s the difference between Pro Logic®, Pro Logic II, and Dolby® Digital 5.1?

Dolby Pro Logic is a matrix decoder that decodes the four channels of surround sound that have been encoded onto the stereo soundtracks of Dolby Surround program material such as VHS movies and TV shows. Dolby Surround is a matrix encoding process that in essence “folds” Left, Center, Right, and Surround channels onto stereo soundtracks. A Pro Logic decoder “unfolds” the four channels on playback (without a Pro Logic decoder, the encoded program plays in regular stereo).

Dolby Pro Logic II is an advanced matrix decoder that derives five-channel surround (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround) from any stereo program material, whether or not it has been specifically Dolby Surround encoded. On encoded material such as movie soundtracks, the sound is more like Dolby Digital 5.1 (see below), while on unencoded stereo material such as music CDs the effect is a wider, more involving soundfield. Among other improvements over Pro Logic, Pro Logic II provides two full-range surround channels, as opposed to Pro Logic’s single, limited-bandwidth surround channel.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is a method of transmitting and storing 5.1-channel soundtracks via newer digital media such as DVD, digital cable, digital broadcast TV (DTV), and satellite transmissions. Unlike the Dolby Surround encode/Pro Logic decode process, which sacrifices channel separation to get surround onto any stereo soundtrack, Dolby Digital 5.1 is a discrete system that keeps the multiple channels fully separated throughout the encoding and decoding processes. In addition to having full-range Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround channels, Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks carry a sixth (“.1”) channel recorded with low-frequency effects (those bass rumbles and booms you feel as well as hear in a well-equipped cinema).

11. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

12. KrishnaS

Man - this is so damn confusing. I just can't make up my mind. My options now are the Denon 2801 for $225, a Denon 3801 probably for $350 or a Denon 3803 for $525 refurbed. Decisions decisions!

13. Wayne Ernst

And to confuse things even more, someone at Audiogon.com/Videogon.com has a used AVR-3802 for $400 + shipping.

14. KrishnaS

Oh man Wayne. You're killing me here bud.

Why oh why can't the 1804 have preouts to add an external amp. It has all the features I need in a pre amp but i HAVE to have the capability of adding outboard amps in the future.

WHat does the 3802 add over the 3801? Significant features?

15. Wayne Ernst

The 3802 will get you Pro Logic II. Granted, this isn't something your are in need of. However, there might also be some sonic differences with the receivers. I'd also imagine that there would be some sonic differences between the 28xx series and the 38xx series, where the 38xx series should sound slightly better.

16. KrishnaS

Wayne - After about 4 hours of research and reading I think I'm down to either the 2803 or the 3803. The 2803 sounds like it's exactly what I need. The only reason I'm looking at the 3803 is that it's only $60 more expensive than it's little brother at ecost. What do you think?

17. Wayne Ernst

Krishna,

I think given all of your reasearch and finalizing some choices has revealed quite a good selection. If the decision were mine, I'd go for the AVR-3803. While the differences of the 3803 might be only slightly different or better, it's a very good receiver. Go for it.

18. KrishnaS

Wayne, I was SO close to deciding on the 3803 when this thread got active. 3801 vs 3803

Now I'm back to being confused. hahaha.

I said this in the other thread - I really think all these receivers are overkill for me. My system right now isn't resource heavy - all the receiver has to drive are the Energy Take 5's. My upgrade plan calls for me adding two outboard amps when I upgrade my front two speakers later this year. So I'm not too worried about the amp section of the receiver. I'm more concerned about its pre-pro features because the receiver will be the last component I upgrade as I move slowly to seperates. It needs to last me at least two years.

The more I think about this the more I feel that the 1804 - the cheapest one on the block - is exactly what I need. Too bad it doesn't have connections to add an outboard amp!!

19. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

I don't buy any used gear unless I'm a good friend of the seller and know they took care of it. Other than that, I would never buy used from anyone. Did that and got stung.

The AVR-1804 is also a good receiver but I wouldn't use it as a preamp.

Right now with the close out price, the AVR-3803 seems to be a great deal. I bought mine back in Nov. 2002 for $900 from an authorized dealer and can't say how happy I am with it. The AVR-2803 is just as good of a buy but it's technically not discontinued yet, or at least until the AVR-2805 will be released. The AVR-2803 was released about 3 months after the AVR-3803 so I'd expect the same with the new model.

Have a good one.

Good luck on your decision.

20. KrishnaS

So when is the 2805 expected to be released? The price on the 2803 should drop as soon as its been discontinued right? At the moment there is only a $60 difference between the 2803 and the 3803.