What's new

Help me build my DVD-A/SACD collection (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Anytime we're talking about Surround discs, and we don't include the offerings of AIX Records, then we're doing a disservice.

Here's a few of my recommendations from them:

Grant Geissman Quintet There and Back Again
McCuen and Ibotson Nitty Gritty Surround
Steve Hufsteter Big Band Gathered 'round
Zephyr Voices Unbound

Another lighter rock DVD-A disc with excellent sonics, is Boz Scaggs' Dig

I'm really digging Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and you can pick which format you want on this one :D

Most of my other favorites have been listed, but this one merits listing:

The Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

I don't think there's going to be middle ground here. It'll either be love it or hate it. Regardless, IMO it really extends the boundaries of multi-channel mixing, and (again IMO) shows what is possible with this type of agressive mix. While it is very agressive, I think the mix is very well suited to the material.

As a general rule, if you see an indicator that the 5.1 Mix is done by Elliot Scheiner or Mark Waldrep you will (IMO) get a great disc.

Cheers,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Anytime we're talking about Surround discs, and we don't include the offerings of AIX Records, then we're doing a disservice.

Here's a few of my recommendations from them:

Grant Geissman Quintet There and Back Again
McCuen and Ibotson Nitty Gritty Surround
Steve Hufsteter Big Band Gathered 'round
Zephyr Voices Unbound

Another lighter rock DVD-A disc with excellent sonics, is Boz Scaggs' Dig

I'm really digging Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and you can pick which format you want on this one :D

Most of my other favorites have been listed, but this one merits listing:

The Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

I don't think there's going to be middle ground here. It'll either be love it or hate it. Regardless, IMO it really extends the boundaries of multi-channel mixing, and (again IMO) shows what is possible with this type of agressive mix. While it is very agressive, I think the mix is very well suited to the material.

As a general rule, if you see an indicator that the 5.1 Mix is done by Elliot Scheiner or Mark Waldrep you will (IMO) get a great disc.

Cheers,

AricB

Second Unit
I'll agree with John on the Flaming Lips title, it does push the boundries of the format, but I dont really like the idea of the drums rotating around the listener, especially for someone who has a more traditional HT setup with smaller bi/di pole speakers in the rears, tends to sound not as good in the back as the fronts, IMO.

AricB

Second Unit
I'll agree with John on the Flaming Lips title, it does push the boundries of the format, but I dont really like the idea of the drums rotating around the listener, especially for someone who has a more traditional HT setup with smaller bi/di pole speakers in the rears, tends to sound not as good in the back as the fronts, IMO.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Now you all have me curious about the Flaming Lips disc. I keep hearing good things about it. perhaps Ill grab it. I keep forgetting Yellow Brick Road is on DVD-A now. Gotta grab it too.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Now you all have me curious about the Flaming Lips disc. I keep hearing good things about it. perhaps Ill grab it. I keep forgetting Yellow Brick Road is on DVD-A now. Gotta grab it too.

AricB

Second Unit
Yellow brick road on SACD is pretty amazing for as old as it is. The Flaming Lips disc does sound good, and has a real aggressive mix, by far the most I've heard, but I feel some of it goes to a gimmicky level, but I dont hate it, as most people who dont love it, do hate it? it has a fair amount of extras included, video's and alternated versions I think.

AricB

Second Unit
Yellow brick road on SACD is pretty amazing for as old as it is. The Flaming Lips disc does sound good, and has a real aggressive mix, by far the most I've heard, but I feel some of it goes to a gimmicky level, but I dont hate it, as most people who dont love it, do hate it? it has a fair amount of extras included, video's and alternated versions I think.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!!

Thank you for all the responses. My "wish" list has grown grown :).

My reasoning for not being into stereo tracks is that my system is VERY modest, with bookshelf speakers all around.

I have checked out the hi-rez stereo tracks on my existing disks. While they do sound superior to CDs, the fail to compare to the "immersiveness" of the multi-channel tracks.

Maybe it's just time to upgrade to some nice mains? :D

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!!

Thank you for all the responses. My "wish" list has grown grown :).

My reasoning for not being into stereo tracks is that my system is VERY modest, with bookshelf speakers all around.

I have checked out the hi-rez stereo tracks on my existing disks. While they do sound superior to CDs, the fail to compare to the "immersiveness" of the multi-channel tracks.

Maybe it's just time to upgrade to some nice mains? :D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Hybrid/Multichannel SACDs of Roxy Music's "Avalon" and Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get it On" should have been listed by now.

For the record, I draw the line at one channel. Anything less than that, and I'm not interested. :)

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Hybrid/Multichannel SACDs of Roxy Music's "Avalon" and Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get it On" should have been listed by now.

For the record, I draw the line at one channel. Anything less than that, and I'm not interested. :)

Regards,

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
while you're at it get the last 2 steely dan offerings, as well. they both sound terrific.

2 against nature was the grammy winner for album of the year, 2000

everything must go will make your system sound like a million bucks

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
while you're at it get the last 2 steely dan offerings, as well. they both sound terrific.

2 against nature was the grammy winner for album of the year, 2000

everything must go will make your system sound like a million bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks