Help me build a low cost powered sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Sunderland, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm interested in building a powered sub for less than $150, if possible. Right now I am using Axiom surrounds, along with a Cerwin Vega 10" powered sub that was a left over from my previous Cerwin Vega "home-theater-in-a-box" setup. This is the only sub I have owned, and it sounds pretty decent to my ears.

For Christmas, I am setting up a surround sound system for my parents. They are getting the surrounds from the Cerwin Vega set, and I picked up a Pioneer reciever for them. They need a sub though. So...my question is, what can I build for less than $150? Can I build something better than my current CV sub? If so...I will keep the DIY, and give my parents the CV.

This will be my first DIY sub, so I would appreciate some tips on what I need to buy, and where the best place is. I have used PartsExpress several times, and have been happy with them, if I can get most of my parts there, that would be a plus. Also...I can do the boxbuilding myself, but I would like to know what type of wood will be good to use, keep in mind I would like to keep the price as low as possible. Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

2. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

3. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Is it possible to do it at $150?

4. Chad Sunderland

Well...after shopping around online, I don't think it will be possible to do what I want for the price I was looking at. I'll probably just have my parents pick up something like one of the cheap Sony subs.

I was thinking I could build something better than my CV for that price...but that doesn't look realistic after looking around.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone comes up with anything! Thanks for the replies

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

It's not DIY but the Dayton 10" sub is quite a winner. I could rest easy at night putting it up against anything you'll get at BestBuy up to $300ish.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I agree with Dan. I'll take the Dayton over the Sony any day.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

8. Chad Sunderland

Hmmm...that DLS10 is looking pretty good! Anyone have any ideas on how it would compare to the CV LS-10 I have now? I'm trying to decide on if I should order the DLS for myself, and give my parents the CV, or should I keep the CV, and have them get the DLS? Thanks!
    Chad

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Having listened to the CV, my answer to your question is, The Dayton is a much better sub in all aspects.

Sound quailty
    Build
    Looks

Nothing personal but the CV is a one note boom box. Even with placment and pari eq-ing, it still a train wreck.

I think you will be more than happy with the DLS-10. Compare it to the CV playing music and the difference will be "quite apparent".
    For HT duty, it will be a little less noticable but still much better.

Best 99.00 bucks you'll ever spend, very impressive little sub at it's price point, amazing little performer.

Geoff