Help me build a Home Theater subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rocko1290, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Rocko1290

Rocko1290 Auditioning

I’m here to get some help building a home audio sub.

My budget is about $360. The sub will be going in a room that is about 300-400 sq. ft. I want to do a 200 liter ported enclosure. I will use the sub for movies/games/music.

I would like to get a Rhythmik Audio amp, because they can install the rumble filter for you and I don’t know how to do it, nor do I have the equipment. They make a (250w @ 4 ohm) amp and a (350w @ 4ohm) amp. I could go with either one of those. I could also use any other amp (any power) with a fixed rumble filter, as long as the rumble filter is set appropriately for my design. I will use any 15” driver that you think will work best with a 200L enclosure. www.partsexpress.com is where I planned on getting most of my stuff from.

Once I get the amp and driver decided on, then we can talk about the port/box tuning frequency.

I appreciate any help.

--Thanks

2. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

What do you expect us to say that hasn't already been said in your 11 page design thread on AVS?

3. Rocko1290

Rocko1290 Auditioning

This is a new project...I am looking for reccomendations for this one.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The Dayton DVC 15" or the Dayton RS HF are the two logical choices. Run the numbers through Unibox with different Fb's and see which response graph looks the best.

-Robert

5. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Still not sure what you expect to hear that'll be different from any discussions in your other design thread, but I'll bite.

What's magic about 200 liters? Usually it's better to start with your performance goals and find a design that accomplish that goal.
    Music/movie % bias? What genres?
    What are your goals for extension?
    What SPL do you listen to your mains at on average?
    Which would you trade, extension or SPL?
    What are you using for mains?
    How far will the seating position be from the sub?
    How big is the room...300-400 square feet doesn't give us volume of the space and is a pretty broad generalization?
    Is $360 for driver/amp or soup-to-nuts driver/amp/mdf/screws/fill/exterior finish/etc.?
    Do you have any external dimensional limits?

-Brent