Help me bring some appreciation for classic film and DVD to my podunk Kansas town.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Graham, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I dunno if anyone can help me with this project, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

About a year ago, my wife and I moved back to my hometown of Fort Scott, KS. Inside Fort Scott is a place very near and dear to my heart, the public library. It was there that I started getting a real appreciation for classic film, checking out all of their old Hitchcock tapes back when I was in grade school. Anyways, when we moved back, I came to realize that our library hasn't gone through the modernization that every other public library I've ever been to has. Namely, the only films they have to check out are still the ancient VHS tapes I buried myself in over 15 years ago.

While our library is decent sized for a town as small as this, their acquisition budget seems pretty much non-existent. So I had an idea. How could I contact studios like Warner, who seem to have the most extensive program when it comes to the classics on DVD, and see if they would be willing to donate some discs to our lowly library? I of course would like to get titles from multiple studios, but they seem like a good start.

Is there any kind of official channel where someone can contact studios about things like this? I know some HTFers have connections with some of the studios, so I figured I'd take the longshot and ask around.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's a "You're insane."

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

You don't need to contact the studios, you need to contact state and local government agencies about getting a grant for the library. I imagine a call to your county or state representative's office would probably be the place to start.

3. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

You could also donate some yourself and put an ad in the paper, on radio, etc and ask others to help.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Yur library has movies?! [​IMG]

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

It amazes me that my hometown library system carries such a huge amount of titles that you'd probably never need to rent. Type in a title and see for yourself:

http://www.columbuslibrary.org/