What's new

help maximize my current theater setup... (1 Viewer)

bluenote

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi there! I just bought an HDTV and I want to maximize my home theater equipment. Some of the my equipment is older (no hdmi) but I would still like to attempt and get the most out of it.
TV has 2 HDMIs, component, and optical hookups.
DVD has component, s-video, and composite (red,white, yellow) hookups
Cable box has HDMI, component, and optical
Receiver has component, composite, s-video, optical

Is it best to run everything to the receiver? If i do this and want to watch a dvd without using surround, will it still work or does the receiver have to be on?

I currently have my system wired as follows only because I haven't made any purchases on cables. It seems to work. In fact, I'm able to watch 5.1 HD cable channels in surround when the receiver is on. What is throwing me off is that my setup is as follows.

Cable Box to TV (HDMI)
TV to Receiver (optical)
DVD to TV (composite)

My receiver has a TV/DTS option which i only use as I dont currently have my dvd player going through the receiver. Does anyone see a problem with this? I suppose listening to cds on my dvd player might be a problem if i dont have the TV turned on because of the optical pass???

Please comment and let me know if this is ridiculous or how i can maximize my setup.

thanks,
kevin

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Looking at your set up, I think a new receiver is in order. You really need one with 2 digital inputs. However there is another way so long as you can settle for pro logic from dvd. Just hook up dvd audio via "video 1" composite L/R audio. your receiver should have pro logic 2. But you should defiantly buy a component cable to run your dvd player video to the hdtv, way better than composite. It will still be 480P but will look better. There is a site that sells cables really cheap HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

so new system config would be this:

Cable Box to TV (HDMI)
TV to Reciver (Digital)
Dvd player to reciever (analog)
Dvd video to tv (component) R G B

Your dvd player should have the coaxial digital out (orange RCA jack), I think it is standard on all dvd players. anyway, just suggestions as to what might be best. I read this when you first posted and could not thiink up anything. But seeing that nobody had replied yet, I figured I would take a crack at it. Hope I have helped.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Cable box --- TV (HDMI)
Cable box --- Receiver (optical)
DVD ---- TV (Component)
DVD ---- TV (optical)
DVD ---- Receiver (coaxial)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I thinkk the option of a new receiver with HDMI would net you the best results. If your t.v. has HDMI out then that would be great, but I think all the tvs now a days are SPDIF which sums up to receiving a digital signal and outputing a digital signal. Anything HDMI will produce sound via HDMI as long as the unit is capable. If your tv has a digital out (probably toslink or optical) it can go out to the receiver and you got surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks