help make up my mind

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_Kiang, Sep 24, 2002.

1. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I'm not sure this is in the proper forum but here goes:
    I'm trying to decide between a couple of things.
    1 - buy a GBA for Golden Sun or Tactics Ogre, with the new Yu-Gi-Oh and FF Tactics game to look forward to
    or
    2 - get Kingdom Hearts for the PS2
    I'm going to be trading in Morrowind (PC - my brother bought it as well so I can play his if I feel the need), Dynasty Warriors 3 (PS2 - just don't have enough time to put into it and I want to trade it in before it drops in value), and possibly Neverwinter Nights (PC - again, time constraints being the main factor) and Baldur's Gate (PS2 - I think it just dropped in price too [​IMG] ). I don't get a ton of time to spend on the PS2 because my wife would like to watch tv. This is why I'm thinking the GBA might be an interesting option. I mentioned it to my nephew though and he basically didn't think it was a worthwhile purchase. I don't really go for platform type games and I wouldn't do sports on it, so I'm not sure. I know there are some serious gamers here so I was hoping I'd get some input. I won't even go into how I was thinking of swapping my PS2 for a GameCube just so I could play Animal Crossing...

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Have you considered getting a VGA box for your PS2? I know that some of the ones out now barely offer better than Tv quality on your PC monitor, but it may be a solution to your problem. According to Gamestop.com, a VGA cable by Pelican will be coming out on Oct.11, but I have not been able to find any info on it at all. Here's the link: Pelican PlayStation 2 Code Breaker VGA

3. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

Golden Sun was a really enjoyable RPG with a sequel supposedly on its way. With FF Tactics and Zelda coming out and access to some of the older Game Boy RPG's a GBA is a pretty good option. Plus, you can play at work. [​IMG]
    OTH, Kingdom Hearts does look pretty cool too...
    (2nds the VGA box idea as a solution, especially if the price is right)

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

gba is the 2d platformer/ tactical rpg gamers dream....also think about super mario world 2 and castlevania, both recently released...but again if you don't like those generes a lot gba won't do too much for you
    best other games
    castlevania com
    advanced wars
    golden sun
    mario remakes
    tactics orge
    *metroid fusion
    *not out

5. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Also, I've seen a lot of people over at IGN talk about running their consoles through a TV Tuner to play on their monitors. They seem to like the results.

6. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

I forgot the name of the product but I have a product that takes the signal directly from the GBA onto the TV. I think it's called TV de Advance (not sure). $70~ or so when I got it last year. Graphics on a 27" Flatscreen Toshiba stink, but I can actually see myself play Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Also got an Afterburner (internal light for GBAdvance that runs on the GBA's battery power) but was too lazy to install it.

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I think you'd be better off with the GBA in the long run. Both of the Castlevania titles, plus the 3 Mario titles, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and a few others make it a worthwhile system.

I have a friend badgering me to get Kingdom Hearts at this point, but I think I just wouldn't have the time for it. It does look quite good though.

Man, I got an afterburner and shipped it off to be installed before I could even open the package. That looked way too complicated for me. The one thing I do know though is that it is a totally different system after getting it put in. I can actually play it any time of day, in any place. It was well worth the $70 I spent to buy it and get it installed.

Glen

8. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I'd say go with the VGA box since you already have the PS2.