Help! Looking for speaker wire other then white or dark brown

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hello fellow HT’ers,
    I’m trying to help some friends with their entry-level HT system. They need the rear speakers mounted.
    I usually run wires through the attic for a nice, clean, no-wires-visible install. Problem is, it is a two-story house.
    This is a nice house, and it has fancy wood panel walls, further adding to my grief (sheetrock is easier to deal with).
    Fortunately they don’t object to exposed wiring, as long as it is nicely dressed. I can handle that. The plan is to run the wires around the baseboard to the locations and up the wall in a corner to the speaker. The corner will help hide the wire.
    The million dollar question: Where might I find some colored wire? All I’ve seen at the hardware stores is white or dark brown. I need something medium brown to match the wood panel if I’m going to make that wire “disappear.”
    Anyone have a source for colored wire?
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

I would suggest running the wires the opposite way, that is, drill a hole at the exit point, drop the wire to floor, then run the wire along the baseboards to the equipment. No need to find special colored wire.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The only other thing I have seen is the gold colored stuff you find at Radio Shack. Perhaps that will blend a little better. If you can't fish the wire through the wall, maybe you could cover it with a thin strip of moulding that matches the wood.

4. RossB

RossB Extra

When I was wiring my basement I went to a sterio store ( A&B color and sound) and they had this great retro wire. It was about 1/2" thick by about 1/8", flat and was paintable. It was designed to go just above the baseboards and was self adhesive. It looked like once it was painted it was almost invisible. It might do the trick.

5. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK, if you can't find wire thats in a color that you like, you can always try heat shrink material. Usually they'll come in a multitude of colors and widths and they're fairly inexpensive. It's easy if you have access to a heat gun, or sometimes a strong blow dryer might work. But you can find them in many electrical supply shops in bulk and of course Radio Shack.
    www.grainger.com www.mouser.com
    are two big ones that come to mind.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.