Help Looking for Retailers Currently Stocking Panasonic 50-Inch Plasma (TH-50PX50U)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RoyWilbury, Feb 12, 2006.

1. RoyWilbury

RoyWilbury Stunt Coordinator

After weeks (months actually) of studying and decision making, I'm pretty certain I'd like to get the 50-inch Panasonic TH-50PX50U Plasma TV. The problem is that I'm having trouble finding this TV in stock anywhere, whether online or in physical stores. I'd like to order online to save money, but I don't know what online retailers are reputable other than some of the well-knowns like Amazon or Circuit City, etc. Can anybody direct me to reliable online retailers that currently have this model in stock?

As I shopped around and researched numerous TV types and models, I wondered if the most problematic thing might end up being just finding the thing somewhere to buy.

Any help or advice? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I purchased my 37" Panasonic Plasma from One Call and it arrived in perfect condition. A really first-class experience from beginning to end. I see they carry the set you're looking at here. The price as of this evening was listed as $3599 in the cart + shipping. But I also see that it is currently "on order" so I don't know what that means in terms of availability and why? A phone call should clear that up. I found them extremely good to work with.

Another good online vendor is Vanns. They list the Panasonic here but once again it's not in stock right now. I wonder if Panasonic is going to be coming out with new models shortly and that's why these sets are backordered, or whether it's just post-Superbowl fallout?

Good luck!

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The 50/500 series is essentially sold out. The 60/600 series will be out as soon as Panasonic can get them out. The new series will be at least as expensive as the old series if not more.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I don't know what the difference is, but Costco currently has 30 of the Panasonic TH-50PM50U for $3299.99 + $199.99 S&H.

Of course, Costco's remarkable return policy applies.

These have always sold fast.

5. RoyWilbury

RoyWilbury Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm in a weird situation where I need to wait a week or two to purchase, but I really can't wait several months for the new line of models to come out, especially since I haven't seen anybody who has any firm idea when the new line will be out beyond "spring" or "mid-year", etc. (nor am I really able to pay more than what most retailers are listing the set I'm looking at for).

If somebody could point out the differences between the TH-50PM50U and the TH-50PX50U, that would be great. That's another problems I've been running into. I've found the most positive comments about the TH-50PX50U, so I'd like to get that one. Yet, when I search retailers for Panasonic 50-inch Plamas, I find numerous model numbers.

In the alternative, could somebody point to other 50-inch Plamas that are as good or better than Panasonic modelsm, that are comparable in features, with a similar cost? I've read so much about how Panasonic blows all other plasma screens away in the 42 and 50-inch category, I somehow feel weird buying something from another brand. Reading an issue of Consumer Reports, they make it sound like Panasonics plasmas are great and most everything else is mediocre or worse. I've read a lot of great things about Pioneer, and I seem to see more Pioneer models in stock than Panasonic. But Pioneers seem to be more expensive in general.

Besides being set on wanting a 50-inch (which eliminates CRT or LCD screens, and I'm not the least bit interested in projection of either sort), I'm most interested in picture quality, especially when playing DVD's and watching standard TV signals from something like DirecTV. But I definitely want to get an HDTV rather than the cheaper EDTV's (I don't even know if they make the 50-inch model in EDTV anyway). I'd prefer a build-in HD tuner, but that's not super important really. Other than that, I'm just looking for a nice-looking 50-inch plasma screen with a decent amount of input choices (an HDMI for whatever future application I might use when I move to HD, and a one or two each of component, composite, and s-video inputs). I don't even need anything with amazing sound, as I have a nice sound system already.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

A few comments:
    • That Costco deal looks pretty good if it's still around when you are ready to purchase. And you can't beat their return policy. It also looks like they are saying that delivery will be 20 days from the time you order. Assuming they don't charge you until they ship, this should be when you are ready to buy. Ask them.
    • A phone call to one of the vendors previously mentioned might get you an indication as to when Panasonic is going to be shipping the new models. It might be weeks instead of months and might fit in with your schedule. Once again, it doesn't cost anything to ask.
    • Generally when I recommend plasmas I tell people to "stick with the "Ps" as in Panasonic and Pioneer. Both are, in my opinion, far better than the competition. The nod goes to Pioneer (especially the Elite series) for overall picture with the Panasonic not too far behind. However, the Pioneers are going to cost you more than the Panasonics - no question about that.
    • And you are absolutely right - don't serttle for an ED set. Get an HD set or you will kick yourself later down the line.

7. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Based on Robert's recommendation, here is a Pioneer 50" (PDP-50A5HD) at Costco.com. As indicated, it's more expensive than the Panasonic 50" discussed earlier - $3999.99 (+ $219.99 S&H) vs. $3299.99 (+ $199.99 S&H).

How to determine whether the additional $700 + is worth it? I don't know.

Pioneer 50" @ Costco - $3999.99

If you're near a Costco, they currently have an in-store promotion through this week on the Pioneer 42" plasma hdtv (PDP-4214HD). The price has been reduced by $400 to $1999.99, no S&H obviously.

This model has a built-in HD tuner and HDMI input.

8. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I was at Costco yesterday, and they had the 50" Panasonic plasma on the floor. Price was $3299.99. Two week ago they had a instant $300 rebate on it.

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

I really like the Panasonics. Consider an HP plasma, as there are rebadged Pannys. If considering a Pioneer, stick with the elites.

Regards

Gregg

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Aren't the Toshiba plasmas mostly Panasonic?

OneCall has the 50 inch Toshiba 50 HP95 for $3,330 delivered with no tax. You may even get it cheaper if you open a OneCall charge account.

11. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

I am also interested in the 50" TH-50PX500. From what I can tell from scowering the internets, is the panasonic TH-50PM50 is a costco only build from panasonic and it does not have a built in DTV Tuner nor a Cable Ready Card, so they can market it at a lower price. Other than that, they are the exact same model (correct me if i am wrong).

So my question is: Would i need that stuff?