Help looking for front speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jon_ad, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

I am upgrading my system from a RCA HTIB. I am going with HK325 (569 CC) (is this enough receiver or do i need to step up to the 525, my room is about 12x15) but I need to add new front speakers and a sub. I have about 400 for the front speakers and 200 for a sub. I don't go for a lot a of bass but my current nonpowered sub is pretty nonexistent. I have looked at Athena AS-F1 (399/pair at BB)and Infinity Primus 250 (399/pair at CC. For subs I have looked at Sony SAWM500 (199 at BB). My plan is to use my current fronts and surrounds as part of my surround for 7.1 and upgrade as I collect some more cash. Any suggestions on the speakers I have looked at or any other speakers in my pricerange or atleast somewhere to get better prices.

Another question- my original plan was to start by buying bookshelf speakers to use for my fronts and then later move them to surrounds when i upgraded to floors but the salesman at CC said that I could blow them out using the HK. Any truth to this.

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

That receiver should be sufficient for your 12X15 room.

The CC salesman is either lying to you to get you to spend more for floorstanders or doesn't know jack about electronics.

To me, it sounds like the salesman suggested the H/K will be too much power for the bookshelfs (and thus 'blow them') but will work fine with the floorstanders. That is nonsense. The majority of the time, speakers are damaged by underpowering them. Severly underpowering a speaker can lead to the amplifier clipping. This clipping in turn can cause speaker damage.

I double-checked the specs on the speakers in question and you will be fine using the H/K 325. This statement applies to both the bookshelf and floorstanding models.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you can squeeze another $100 into your budget I would go with swan's 2.1s in black cherry ($299) and an Adire Rava sub ($400) for an amazing combination that would blow the Athena's, Infinity's, and Sony sub away. Also, in the budget range you're considering you'd be better off in general with a bookshelf speaker since the sub will be picking up on everything below 80hz or so (depending on where you set the receiver's crossover).

Also, if you're not afraid of building a box, a DIY sub would be an amazing value. An Adire Shiva ($125) and parts express 272W plate amp ($130) would allow you to put together an amazing sub for well under $300 after materials (with a basic painted or vinyl covered finish similar to most commercial subs). The Diva 2.1s and either Rava (Shiva based w/ amp similar to the PE amp i mentioned) or DIY Shiva would be outstanding for right at your budget of $600.