What's new

Help looking for a 32" (1 Viewer)

Hank_P

Second Unit
The ol' 27" TV in the bedroom has seen it's last days. I'm looking for a good tube 32" or 34" (36" too big), that will never be used for any critical viewing, not looking for any HD sets. Are they all about the same? I currently have a Toshiba 57" and have been pleased with it... do I stick with Toshiba for tube, or is JVC just as good. Comcast cable, and an old Panasonic DVD is the only connections I would have to it.

My viewing on this set would be news in the morning getting ready for work.. or watching late TV as I'm relaxing. Not really concerned about the $$$ amount, from what I've seen, most are under $500. Maybe may question should be.. "what should I stay away from"?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Hank

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If your only going to use it for casual viewing & you can live without a Flat Tube check out the Toshiba 32 inch model 32A33 that Best Buy has for $379.99 It has Component Video Inputs, an S-Video Input & 2 Composite A/V Inputs plus a 10 watt audio amp. (Most of the cheaper sets only have a 2 or 3 watt audio amp) it also has A Video Output. As I was walking through Best Buy I noticed the set because of the price & the picture looked pretty good & it sounded ok to me for a 32 inch set under $400 & in fact a local chain here is selling it this week for $311.00 but again I din't take a real hard look at the picture so if I was you I would go & check it yourself if your intrested? It also has a Glow Remote that will control the TV, a Cable or Sat box, a VCR & a DVD Player plus it comes with Toshiba's 1 year Parts & Labor Warranty. Check out Best Buy's website & you can get the specs., pictures of the set, the Rear Jacks & the Remote. I would also fight with them over the price if a small chain can sell it for $311.00

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks Bill for heads-up @ BB. I'll run there when I get off work today. I didn't realize that model had that many inputs for that price. I can definitely do without the flat panel, as most viewing is done before and after sunrise/sunset and won't have the reflections. The price is a steal for me as it falls right into what I'm looking for. The warranty is even better, as my brief shopping has only turned up 90 day warranties... must be another reason I went with the 57" Toshiba.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Hank, for what it's worth Consumer Reports just rated the next model up Toshiba 32A43 Number 1 in the 32" size so if your not happy with the 32A33 you might want to check out the 43. For non-flat tubes the JVC AV-32D104 came in second & the Panasonic CT-32E13 came in next to last & the Apex AT3208S came in last. I don't think you could go wrong with either a Toshiba or JVC & they are the only companies that I know of that have a 1 year LABOR Warranty on their lower-priced models. If your worried about repairs you might want to try & knock them down on the price of the set & then buy an extended warranty on it. I would look to pay them around $350 for the Toshiba 32A33 including a 3 year warranty. :D Let us know what you think of the A33's Picture & Sound Quality because I only gave it a quick look & Consumers din't test the 32A33 model.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Quick update if anyone is looking for a Toshiba 32 and comparing the A33 & A34 models. The specs are identical side by side. There are three differences. The A34 has one more set of inputs (on the front), has the dual speakers located on the side rather than on the bottom of the screen, and the remote is much nicer. The setup, menus, etc. on both are identical.

If you were looking for a 32" that would need to fit in a entertainment center, with more limited space, the A33 is for you. I thought the A34 might give a little better surround feel with the speakers on each side of the picture. Not a deal maker/breaker for me as I will have it setup with receiver/speakers.

I will probably get the A34 this weekend if I don't have to work. On another note, the wife loved the 36A34. I don't have a stand to fit this giant 36"-$600 TV, so I would need to put out another $250-300 for a nice stand. Which would bring the cost up to around $900-$950 w/tax. She's all for this, but not what I'm looking to spend with X-mas around the corner and for that matter, I might as well be looking at a 42" projection. She jumped all over that with a "sounds great" ...now for you guys that have S.O. that always say "no".. feel lucky, as this girl is going to drive me broke :D "do I let her manipulate me into getting a 42 in. TV"?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
When you say "A34" for the model number I guessing you mean "A44" ? If she wants a 42 inch set I would go for it if you can afford it otherwise you'll be listening to "Well, I told you before you should of got the wide-screen set, but NO you would'nt listen to me." :D Maybe you can spread the payments out over 2 years or so with no finance charges & have her split the difference on the monthly payments with you ;) What did you think of the picture quality on the A33? was it the same as on the "A34/A44" ? I think the real reason my eye went to the Toshiba when I was in the store besides price is that a friend of mine wants to buy a Flat Tube 36 inch analog set & for a $1,000 or so that it's going to cost him with a stand I have been trying to talk him out of spending a $1,000 on an analog set & just buy something to carry him over until he can afford to spend $2,000 on a set like maybe next year for a 42" Plasma set & I think the Toshiba A33 would fit the bill nicely for him as a fairly big low-priced good quality "Tide Me Over Set" & he would be upgrading in size from a 27" main set to a 32" set which would give him the WOW factor in picture size for awhile while he saved up his money.

Hank_P

Second Unit
The picture quality on the A33 & A34 looked identical. It was easy to compare the two since they had the same loop/feed going to both of them. It was the loop for Tivo, which is a soft picture ..as it was soft on all the sets. If your friend is looking for something with a good picture to hold him over.. the A33 is the way to go.

Me and the wifey are going out tonight, and it just so happens to be near another Best Buy :D wow, what luck. We'll also have to ride right by an HH Gregg, and Circuit City.

I probably can swing the 42", that what makes it a harder decision. Right now, it's the A34 ..I'll see what tonight brings.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Hank & I'm going to try & talk him into going with the A33 until he can afford a really good set & I'll bet if the wife is going with you tonight you'll end up with a big screen set :D My thinking is either go really cheap for a set or get something really good & not to go in the middle somewhere because of the way things & prices in the tv world are changing & remember what you buy today you will probably be living it for a long while, hopefully, so make that decision count now ;) Good Luck & Happy Shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks