What's new

Help locating blackout fringe edging (1 Viewer)

Tom Coyle

Auditioning
I'm not entirely sure how to describe this, but here goes.

You know that stuff you sometimes find on a door sweep? Not the solid vinyl, but rather the stuff that's like a brush material - tiny individual strands of plastic a half-inch or so long, laid out along the sweep itself, held together by the aluminum channel?

I've also seen it in some car window installations on both sides of the glass to keep out dust and crud and gently brush the window as it goes up and down.

Of course, I can't find an example around the house here or on Ebay to show you, and I don't know what the official term is to Google for it, so hopefully this description helps.

My need is that I just bought new plantation shutters for the three westward-facing windows in my HT. Previously I'd been using blackout shades, but they were a little cheesy and so I decided to upgrade. They give me a lot better light-blockage than anything else I've ever used (they have wraparound frames, so there's no leakage from the sides), but there's still a teeny tiny bit of leakage around the inside edges where the shutter tilt-bars are mounted to the frame.

What I'd like to do is buy some of this material in bulk (hopefully it comes in long rolls like velcro does), cut it to length, and glue or tack it to the back-side of the shutters on those inside edges to eliminate the rest of the light.

The reason I need this sweep material rather than using vinyl is that, if I get something hard, the shutters won't open. The sweep material covers completely, and then moves out of the way when you move whatever it is you have to open or close.

If anyone could please point me in the right direction, or at least give me the official term for what this stuff is called, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tom

Egg663

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Apparently it's called a brush pile:

astrodraft.com/astro_sash_seals.html - scroll down and see

(add www)

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles