What's new

HELP!!! Lite On 52x won't work! (1 Viewer)

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, i know i installed it right becasue it's showing up fine, and i can use the on-screen controls to eject the disc etc..

BUT,

1. when i try to play a music cd in it, it open windows media player, but just skips, no songs will play

2. When i open nero i only get the option of the image recorder, not the burner.

What's going on????

i'm on Windows XP pro and a pentium system (it's brand new)

let me know if you need any more info, thanks!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Check your cabling. Make sure your master/slave configuation is corect.

Secondly, make sure the drive isn't running in PIO mode.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK, for the cabling, it will depend on whether you've got another device sitting on the same IDE channel. Each channel can take two devices. One must be set as master, the other as slave. The setting is controlled by little shorting caps on the back of the drive itself.

IDE devices can run in PIO mode of DMA (or Ultra DMA). Running a drive in PIO mode will swallow up a lot of your system resources because it's so, well.... crap.

To check which mode the drive is in, right-click on My Computer, go to Properties, then the Hardware tab, then Device Manager. Open up the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section and right-click and select Properties for which ever channel the drive is sitting on.

Once the window comes up, click on the Advance Settings tab and you'll see the Current Transfer Mode for the devices on that IDE channel. If any of them are set to 'PIO Mode' then change it to 'DMA if available', then reboot. Modern CD and DVD ROM drives should run in DMA mode with no problems.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
ok, thanks a lot, i just switched it, i'm going to reboot now and see if it worked... back in a few...

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
ok, no good. nero still only sees the image recorder, not the burner

The cd rom and burner are both on the secondary IDE.

The cd rom is the slave, and the burner is the master.

the cd rom is the end termination of teh IDE cable, and the burner is the one on the middle (i'm not sure if that makes any difference)

What could it be!?!?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Nero.

Someone else will have to take over now due to the late hour :)

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
ok, reinstalling nero didn't work.

i tried updating the firmware from lite-on, but when i tried, it said it couldn't find my drive. it say it's for LTR-52246S and that my detected drives are:

0-0-0 D: LYTU-_NOLTR=52246S 0 0 06SOS
and my regular cd rom

it seems as though the problem lies here, with the drive being recognized as something other than LTR-52246S

now i'm baffled...

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
If the burner is set to Master, it should be on the end of the IDE cable, not the middle. Switch the connectors and see if that helps.

I hate installing internal CD writers under Windows.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
AND THE WINNER IS....

DAVID LAWSON!!!!!!

Thank you so much. I had the burner set to master, but on the middle connection.

i had this posted on four BBs in order to figure it out. This totally reaffirms my faith in these bulleting boards...

thank you everyone

now i'm off to burn...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yep, once you described how the drives were hooked up, the fix was obvious. Always remember that the master drive is always on the end of the IDE cable.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's a mistake that everybody has make!

Hey, I made it 3 times putting a new writer in!!

I promptly went and had a nap:)

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks