Help! Linn Unidisk SC

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pete Laz, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Pete Laz

Pete Laz Auditioning

I have a Krell KAV300i amp, B&W 703 speakers, Rotel RCD971 cd player and a REL Storm sub. I want to upgrade my cd player and later move onto home theater. Please could someone tell me is this Unidisk SC going to better the sound of my Rotel and how well it plays other sources? Is a 4.3kg little box going to play all the format varieties well AND still act as a decent processor? Or shall I rather look at separates instead? Any info on the Unidisk SC from owners will be appreciated.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Pete, I don't own it nor have I spent tons of time with it but it is based on their more expensive stuff in a cheap case. The expensive stuff has cases machined from single pieces of aluminum which greatly increases the cost. As with anything in high end audio, tastes are highly subjective. I think Linn is among the best customer service cos. in the world. That being said, I am not usually a big fan of their stuff. A friend of mine went on vacation last yr. and I borrowed his Linn Ikemi CD player for over a week. I had heard it before many times and with a friend who worked at a high end shop delivered the model along with other stuff numerous times. I was horrified of how bad it was for the money in terms of soundstaging, dynamics and bass definition compared to many things I had on hand that were even cheaper.

The SC may be the best value in the line. I would see if you can borrow one or buy it with a money back guaranty. I never said much to the friend who had the Ikemi and about a yr. later after being over my place many times and hearing things in other places he came to the same conclusion. I bought a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer for the secondary basement system. I gave it to my friend with the Ikemi for over a week before I brougt it home as the basement was not quite ready. He thought while there were positives and negatives of the 2000ES vs. the Ikemi, over all he thought the $350 Sony changer was a better CD player than the Ikemi costing more than 10 times. He has since sold the Ikemi and bought something else.

I'd also cosider at the price points you are looking, the Anthem, Rotel 1098 and the Bryston SP 1.7. Get what you like and sounds good in your room and system.

3. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I've never been a fan of plugging a CDP straight into a amp. Whatever gains you MAY get in transparency do not make up for the loss in dynamics IMO. I've heard a number of CDP's with volume control or preamp stages like Wadia or Audio Aero and they always sounded better with a preamp in the chain to my ears. I would home audition the Unidisk SC and make this judgement for yourself.

4. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Pete

don't waste your money on a pretty package. Linn is famous for pretty audio. The Unidisk, if you look at it closely is nothing more than a Phillips drive bundelled up with new Linn prosessing software in a pretty box. It is not worth the money they are asking for it. CD technology is mature and affordable .