What's new

HELP! Letterbox slanting problem (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I thought I would try this question here as well as the Home Theatre Hardware forum since I think it's TV related.
I recently bought a Toshiba D2705 DVD player and a JVC AV 32D502 TV. I am noticing that the letterboxes on DVD's are not perfectly horizontal across the screen - the letterbox 'slopes' slightly downward from left to right. Neither manual touches on any options or commands to tweak this. Is the DVD player the cause, or is it in the TV? I am assuming it itn't related to the actual DVD's I've tried because it happens on all the ones I've tried (Fight Club, Gladiator, etc.). Any ideas??? Would the Avia DVD on home theatre setup help with this - or do I take the component(s) back??
:frowning:

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Thanks for the help - I got some great info regarding this issue in my post on the Home Theatre Hardware forum as well.
PF:emoji_thumbsup:

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
I have this same problem with my Sony Dream System DAVS300. I initially thought that it was my XBR400 the one that had the problem of geometry, but last month I exchanged my XBR400 for a XBR450 and when I put the DVD it shows exactly the same problem.

Anybody knows if you can tweak DVD player's geometry? Is there a service menu in the Sony DAVS300, like with the Wegas?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A DVD player cannot make horizontal lines (the scan lines) slant on the TV, so it would not have geometry controls. Such an adjustment can only be done in the TV.
Fixing the slant can be done by rotating the yokes on the CRT neck(s) or with menu adjustments if present. Your computer monitor may have pushbutton or menu adjustments for "rotating" the image, that is the same thing.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Most 32-36 inch sets have a "tilt" adjustment in the user menu to correct this slant. Even 27" Wegas have it.
It may be buried in some advanced video menu, but you should be able to find some reference to it if you drag out the owner's manual and look hard enough.
This tilt adjustment is there because large tube sets are influenced by the earth's magnetic field. It should correct a uniform slant, but won't help if the picture curves downward. That would require delving into the service menu.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a kv-27fs13 and am having this problem. I have a very slight curve on the left side and a much more pronounced curve on the right. I called sony tech support and the guy just had me unplug it for a half hour, I guess hoping de-gausing would help. That did nothing. Someone said to fix a curve you need to go into the service menu. I know how to do that but am not sure what to adjust to fix the curve. I have searched here and on other sites for info on what to adjust and have had little sucess. If anyone knows what to adjust to fix this it would be very helpful. I am not sure if the curve is bad enough that a sony tech would do anything, and the soonest someone can come is two weeks. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks