Help, keep burning out speaker outputs on HK receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Sly, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

I have the HK AVR65 receiver purchased in 1999 and after only 3 months it burned out the left front speaker output. Now 3 years later the right front speaker output went out. Repairs get costly and this shouldn't happen. Am I doing something wrong or is this a lemon? I use 12 ga. wire.

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Tim,

What do you mean "burn out outputs?". you can pop your output transitors with a short or by playing too loud into very low impedances. Can you describe your symptoms and setup more?

Make sure you don't have any speaker wire touching your receiver chassis.

3. Tim Sly

John,
    I mean the output to that channel has quit, no sound coming out. Probably is a resister or something burned out. I did the test mode and even switched speakers but no sound on the right front. I checked and see no wire touching the receiver chassis. I have 8 Ohm Sony speakers hooked up to the AVR65. 12 guage wire to the fronts and center and 14 or 16 ga to the surrounds. It is tough to get that thick wire in the AVR's binding posts. And it doesn't fit well in the speaker's clips either.

It is out of warranty but I may contact HK to see if they will help. There are two other members on a thread dealing with HK reliability that got help HK even out of warranty when their speaker outputs quit.

4. Mark Markosky

Mark Markosky Auditioning

I have 2 HK's. An AVR 80 and an AVR 7000. The 7000 blew outputs 4 times in 1 year. HK replaced it 4 times.
    My AVR 80 caught on fire this weekend. real fire.
    outputs got so hot they burst into flames.
    HK has a heat problem.
    I'll never buy HK again.

5. Tim Sly

Mark,
    That is a sad commentary on HK from all your blow outs and flame ups! Its sad because I love the sound and the elegant look of the units but the reliability can be bad. It does make one consider switching brands. I heard back from HK support and they will pay for the repair again this time even though I am a couple years out of warranty. They will also fix the problem I have with the memory. Whenever the power goes out in a storm or the unit is unplugged it no longer remembers my presets and preferences and I have to reset them all the time! At least they stand behind their stuff and have good customer service.