Help! - JVC XV-FA900B DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_R, Sep 12, 2002.

1. David_R

David_R Extra

I rencently got this player and love the video quality and has all the features I wanted in the under $350 range. Wiating until CES 2003 see what new Highend players will be out. This is the 7 disc changer model.

BUT I have a major gripe with the unit. When you plays DVD's discs the current disc tray LED indicator will flash all day long until the movie is over.

I read the manual that this is how the unit works normally. IU think its a huge techincally oversite when designing this unit! Common sense would indicat that a flashing light is a ERROR of some sort and also is very distracting when viewing movies. I don't plan or placing any tape or anything over the unit to cover up this 'never should have been' problem.

In closing, is there any firmware upgrade or hack or something I totally missed on how to disable the flashing light? I would real hate to have to return this unit because of this.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

David,

I have last year's XV-F80BK, the same player but without DVD-A capability.

I used it for a year and never figured a way to get rid of the flashing light--this was the only thing I really disliked about the player.

That whole row of buttons lights up if all the trays are occupied, and the one that's playing flashes constantly--dumb design and since it's a button as well as a light kinda hard to cover up and maintain functionality. I ended up taping a strip of translucent plastic to the top edge of the player and letting it hang down over the buttons, not a very attractive solution but my HT definitely is biased toward function over form anyway.

I got a Panny CP72 last weekend, a 5 disc changer that plays just about everything known to man, for $249 at CC.

It only comes in a near-mirror finish silver as yet, but is very techno-looking compared to the JVC. The only thing that lights up is a blue green display about the size of a matchbook, and it's dimmable.

The feature-set is a bit different--the picture isn't nearly as "adjustable" as on the JVC, but it will display time remaining and has bookmarking which the JVC didn't.

3. David_R

David_R Extra

Thanks for the tips..
    I think I might open the unit up and disable all the LEDs so they never com on again! [​IMG]