What's new

Help! Jaggies! (1 Viewer)

Barre_F

Auditioning
Hi All. New to the board and fairly new to the hobby. I saw the newbie section but this section seems more appropriate.

My setup includes a Pioneer DV-F727, 36" Sony XBR, and Pioneer Elite VSX55Ti. I have the F727 running through the reciever with composite cables.

Jaggies are the problem. There are pronounced horizontal lines running throughout the picture. Some DVDs are worse than others. I have the feeling that this is related to conversion or scaling but I don't have enough knowledge to diagnose or correct the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barre

Jason GT

Second Unit
First off, run the video direct to the TV. This should improve PQ a bit.

Try using s-video or component connections. This WILL improve PQ

the bars you are seeing may be moire or other composite video artifacts.

Barre_F

Auditioning
Thanks for you reply. I did connect the composite cables directly to the TV - it did help slightly.

Will going to a 16:9 screen reduce the chance of this happening?

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
It seems as though you're seeing the effects of a player with poor downconversion of anamorphic discs. Getting a 16:9 set - or a 4:3 set with a 16:9 "squeeze" - will get rid of the problem. A cheaper solution would be to pick up a Sony DVD player - the Sonys have very smooth downconversion and eliminate "jaggies".

Barre_F

Auditioning
Ah, what a great excuse to buy a new TV!

I love the DVD changer - hard to live without now that I have it. Maybe Sony will come out with a progressive scan changer?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As Andre has already mentioned, you're probably seeing downconversion artifacts introduced by your player on anamoprphic DVDs. BUT, if your Sony display has the inputs (you neglected to mention what model it is) I also *highly* recommend going with a component connection, S-Video at the very least. It may not get rid of your jaggies, but you should see a marked and noticable improvement in overall image quality, detail and color rendition. If the XBR is a WEGA then you can also take advantage of it's squeeze mode to view anamorphic DVDs with no downconversion and a vastly improved image.

Or you can go with the new 16:9 HDTV monitor and progressive scan player and forget about most of these problems. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Barre, you say you have an XBR. If it is any XBR later than the 250 series, then it already is a progressive-scanning model with HD capability.

And even if it is an XBR250, it still has a 16:9 mode.

Always view 16:9-encoded DVDs (so-called "anamorphic") with the XBR's 16:9 mode engaged. Always connect your DVD player directly to the display. And always use a component-video connection when available.

Finally, however, jaggies are inherent to the scanning-line process. You can minimize them on film-based material with progressive scanning (and if you have an XBR400 or later model, with 2:3 pulldown enabled).

Barre_F

Auditioning
Wow, thanks for the info. I am using composite video direct to the TV (WEGA by the way). Using 16:9 mode definitely improves jaggies, thanks.

The F727 does not have progressive mode, so I guess I'll have to live with it for a while.

Thanks again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Which XBR model, though? If it's XBR400 or later, it will line-double an interlaced signal, rendering it progressively. Also, go into your DVD player's picture-setup menu and select "16:9."

And immediately purchase a set of component-video cables. Composite video does not cut it in home-theater applications.

Barre_F

Auditioning
That was it! Changing the DVD output to 16:9 cured the problem. Picture is MUCH better.

Sorry, I AM using component cables - typing "composite" was a brain far*t.

Thanks!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just to make sure, are you doing anamorphic squeeze from the sony while the DVD player is set to 16:9? If not, your people will look all thin and skinny...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks