HELP! Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brandon_T, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I contacted someone recently with regards to a 2002 BMW M3. He is asking for a very low amount and is willing to do a third party escrow service to ensure security, but you know the saying, if it sounds to good to be true...here is a copy of the e-mail, tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in my 2002 BMW M3 Laguna Seca Blue. I want you to know that I closed my auction earlier because someone has offered me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I cannot accept financing because time is a real issue for me. The price I want to obtain for it is $12,500US (this price includes shippment and insurance charges).

I recently opened a small business in France and I moved here with my family. I've found out that I cannot register the car here, because it is an US model and Europe regulations are different from the US ones. Also I haven't paid yet the duties for bringing it here and if I sell it back to US there will be no more duties to be paid. Now we have our money stuck with this vehicle, so the low price is for a fast cash deal.

The car is like new, completely working, low miles, US model. It has always been garage kept. It is an US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. It will be shipped via air freigth with Lufthansa Air Cargo to the nearest international airport from your area and from there with ground freigth to your door.

The title is clear and clean and you will register it in your state. I will send the car as a gift or donation for you, so you won't have to pay any additional taxes. It will come with all the papers (warranty, insurance etc. ...).

The shipping costs and the insurance taxes of the package will be down to me and you will pay the fees for transferring the money (about 4% of the total amount).

I am requesting a $5,500 refundable deposit prior shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are not 100% content with the car, you will ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reason not to be content with it.

This is a large purchase and I would like to use a third party for this transaction as I want a smooth and safe transaction. We will use Square Trade, I have completed a lot of successful deals using them. I have a purchase protection account of $15,000US with them. If this is your first time using Square Trade here are their terms: if you will not receive the car exactly as advertised or you won't receive it in 15 days since you made the deposit, Square Trade will refund you from my Square Trade account.

If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, home and shipping address so I can register the transaction with Square Trade asap.

Regards,
    Zack

This sounds real good, I am just real leary of this, especially at this price.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Yes.

"Square Trade" isn't an escrow service.

3. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Thank you very much for that info, I had a feeling it was, but always hoped. I never replied to this e-mail, just wanted to get some opinions, I am not e-bay savy so someone like me can get scammed pretty easy I guess.

Brandon

4. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

A first class ticket to Europe can run $3-4K. That's one human being in a seat. How much do you think shipping a car would cost? More than a $12K car likely. I know people who have shipped cars across the Atlantic, but I have never heard of it being done by method other than a boat. Also, why would you ever give somebody money for a car sight unseen, even with an escrow service. This has got to be a scam.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

looks like a scam, smells like a scam...
    I've read quite a bit about these scams, they use a fake escrow service to make people feel at ease.

An 02 M3 is worth considerably more than 12k. But consider the dollar to euro exchange rate, he's getting even LESS than 12k euro. Also the last time I flew to Germany on lufthansa our business class tix were 2k each, and that was a HELL of a discount due to my employer at the time. The gate agent told me that would normally be closer to 6k and a 1st class closer to 12k... but you can fly coach for next to nothing, I could have picked up denver>amsterdam tix for 225 each a month ago [​IMG]

6. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

You guys are great! Thanks for all your help, and saving me from a big mistake. HTF rocks.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

The most amusing thing is that the $12,500 suposedly is for the car AND shipping/insurance. We've already determined that a 2002 "state of the art" BMW is worth much more than 12K, but even more so, shipping would be AT LEAST that. And insurance on top of that? So at the very least, if it were legit you'd be paying for shipping and getting a free car [​IMG]

9. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Has anyone reported this person to eBay?