What's new

Help - is my HK520 defective? (1 Viewer)

JamesL

Agent
I just bought a HK520 and after a few hours of viewing each night there is strong odour (like plastic burning) coming from my receiver. Its been only 6 days - is there a breakin period or something else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

James

Note: the HK520 is not enclosed in a cabinet - it is completely open on all 4 sides.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
How much top clearance? You're sure its more like plastic melting? If the receiver is fully functional and you are experiencing no difficulties it sounds like normal electrical break-in to me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds relatively normal to me for a receiver. New electronics that get hot often have that smell for a little while. My TV did it, and so did my receiver. If it KEEPS doing it, I would worry.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
This seems like a very simple solution, but did you remove the very, very thin plastic sheet that covers the face of the receiver? It is very difficult to see and many hk 520 users have not removed this film. This film is also on the two remotes that come with the receiver. Good luck!

I just bought this receiver a few days ago--it is great!!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
My cover sheets never stay on the remotes for long...they just start bubbling up all over, especially around the inputs. They're only there to protect the few lettered imprints actually on the remote and not on the buttons anyway. I do like keeping the receiver fascia cover on though if there are little fingers around.:frowning:

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
James

My avr 520 is doing the same thing, after a couple of hours, it starts to smell as well. I figure it does this because it is new, The amp does get a little warm.

I bought mine in febuary, I don't use it a whole lot right now.

Does anyone with the smell, how long did the smell last?

John_VI

Second Unit
Mine is also pretty new, but I haven't noticed that kind of a smell....yet. OMG, now I have to check for the smell!!

Thanks a LOT, JamesL!!! Something ELSE for me to worry about!!

LOL!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Better check you speaker ohms. Some faulty crossovers have fried amps to a pure black state. Are you using 8 ohm speakers????????????????????? An electronic burning smell is not normal. New paint is! Is your rcvr hot to the touch or very warm. If it is , Houston we have problems.
Good luck. It's under warranty, so don't sweat too much.:D

DonJ

Second Unit
Yeah when I got my 320 I had that same smell. I was so worried at first that I didn't even leave it in standby. I even switch the power off when I went to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magic_Turtle