Help - Is it my ears or my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ranga, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to integrate a sub (choice between SVS 25-31PC or gallo MPS150) with my HT system and I am running into unexpected problems.
    My DVD player (Sherwood V-756) is connected to a Myryad 5-ch pre-amp through 5.1 outs and then to a 5-ch Myryad amp. I am using the DVD player's decoder and DAC for music and movies.
    Before I bought the sub, when comparing the SMALL and LARGE settings on the DVD player, I found that the LARGE setting sounded much better which is understandable considering all the BASS was going to the fronts.
    While experimenting with both line level and speaker-level connections to the sub from the pre-amp's sub-out and the amp's speaker outs respectively, I found that the speaker level connections with a LARGE and sub set to MIXED work best with music, while sub-out connection with a SMALL setting work best with Movies - UNTIL YESTERDAY that is.
    I am not sure what changed, but all of a sudden the SMALL setting sounds louder at the same levels with or without a subwoofer.
    I am totally lost at this point!! All this for a little more bass..
    BTW, yesterday, when the sub-out was connected with the SMALL setting I heard a crackling on the right front, but I have not been able to consistently reproduce this. The crackling goes away when I remove the sub-out and use the speaker-level connections although it is not as loud.
    Ranga

2. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Bumping it up..
    Anyone?