What's new

Help: intrlaced better than prog-scan in my setup (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kad

Grip
OK, I just setup my first HT system and am confused. With Pioneer Elite DV47a dvd player sending component video signal directly to 4:3 Sony 40xbr700, I'm getting better picture (sharper, less artifacts, proper sizing, etc) when I set the Pioneer DV47a to 16:9 (Wide as opposed to Compressed) as TV size and Interlaced instead of Progressive as output signal. When I switch to Progressive, picture jumps to full screen and is stretched and duller, if I select 16:9 Compressed, it looks exactly that: compressed. I've played around with the Sony interlaced versus progressive setup as well, but can't beat the Interlaced/16:9 Wide setup from the Pioneer. I know something must be up, but as a newbie I just can't figure it out. Frankly, the picture as stated is great, but I can't believe the Progressive isn't better. What's up???

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Not sure, but I recall hearing that this TV shows only interlaced video in its vertical compression (16:9) mode. This may be related to what you are seeing.

I would guess that interlaced/vertical-compression is a better combination for this TV than progressive/letterboxed.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Did you set your DVD player to output 16x9? Since your TV has a 16x9 mode, you will need to set your player to output 16x9 instead of 4:3.

I am not familiar with how your TV handles progressive verses interlaced, but your DVD player's output mode would be the first thing I would check.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks