Help: intrlaced better than prog-scan in my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kad, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Jeff Kad

Jeff Kad Extra

OK, I just setup my first HT system and am confused. With Pioneer Elite DV47a dvd player sending component video signal directly to 4:3 Sony 40xbr700, I'm getting better picture (sharper, less artifacts, proper sizing, etc) when I set the Pioneer DV47a to 16:9 (Wide as opposed to Compressed) as TV size and Interlaced instead of Progressive as output signal. When I switch to Progressive, picture jumps to full screen and is stretched and duller, if I select 16:9 Compressed, it looks exactly that: compressed. I've played around with the Sony interlaced versus progressive setup as well, but can't beat the Interlaced/16:9 Wide setup from the Pioneer. I know something must be up, but as a newbie I just can't figure it out. Frankly, the picture as stated is great, but I can't believe the Progressive isn't better. What's up???

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Not sure, but I recall hearing that this TV shows only interlaced video in its vertical compression (16:9) mode. This may be related to what you are seeing.

I would guess that interlaced/vertical-compression is a better combination for this TV than progressive/letterboxed.

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Did you set your DVD player to output 16x9? Since your TV has a 16x9 mode, you will need to set your player to output 16x9 instead of 4:3.

I am not familiar with how your TV handles progressive verses interlaced, but your DVD player's output mode would be the first thing I would check.