Help! Integra DVD Player shows video but no audio.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike St.Louis, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Hi,

My uncle has an Integra DVD player as well as an Integra receiver. It was set up and running fine for many months until now.

Now for some reason whenever you try and watch a DVD you only get the video without sound. However, if you switch the receiver to CD, you get the audio from the DVD without the picture!!

I pulled the units out to check the connections and see if anything was wrong. Everything looks fine. Nothing should be disturbed with the connections though as it has not been touched since it was set up.

I have tried changing settings on the DVD player and the receiver and have not had any success.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? ANY help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

Sounds to me like someone has reset an assignable digital input. If the unit has assignable inputs, verify that the input being used is assigned properly to the DVD input.

What brand/model receiver is it?

I am assumong that you are using just one of the digital outs from the DVD player, and that the input it is connected to on the receiver is assigned to CD.

Good luck

3. Mike St.Louis

David,

The receiver is an Integra DPRS7.1 and the DVD player in an Integra DPC6.1.

You are correct about the digital outs. Only one is connected via an optical cable to the receiver. These connections have not been physically changed.

I'm not sure how to check the inputs of the receiver. It does have 2 optical inputs for audio. I think I tried pluging the optical cable to the other input with no success.

My uncle thinks it has something to do with my aunt dusting the equipment. I kind of doubt that would have affected anything.

4. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

First select the DVD input on the receiver. Go into the set-up menus and then go to input set-up. Make sure that the assigned input (coax 1, opt1, etc.) matches the input that you are actually connected to on the receiver.

This could have happened from dusting the front of the unit and accidentally accessing the menu functions, i've seen it before.

5. Mike St.Louis

Hey David,

Just a note to say thanks. You hit the nail on the head with the audio input coming from the wrong source.

My relatives are now enjoying their DVD player again.